WineBoard
Alcoholic Wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Alcoholic Wine? (/thread-16779.html)

- lizardbrains - 11-17-2004

Weird subject line, I know.

I'm a member of a local winery here in Temecula, CA - South Coast Winery. I've really enjoyed the wines I've tasted there, but due to the fact that they don't offer their members free tastings (!) I haven't "tasted" there in a few months.

As a part of my member shipment this time, I got a 2001 Cab. Sauv. (obviously the winery is South Coast Winery - so you probably haven't tasted this one unless you've been in my area lately). But, anyways, here is my question:

I popped it open last night and poured some into a red wine glass. Gave it a good sniff and had to cough from the strong alcoholic smell! So, I took a sip and sniffed again... again, way too much alcohol taste! I think I could probably catch the bottle on fire if I got a match close to it!

So, I've smelled and tasted it again tonight. It's still just as cruel to my nose and tongue. What gives?

The discription write up says... "This wine displays a beautiful balance of spice and fruit. Aged in European Oak barrels for 19 months, upfront berry notes combine with red licorice and currents to meld perfectly with the spiciness coming out of the oak; a mild undercurrent of herbaceousness with a slight hint of pepper round the strong structure and finish."

Technical info: Redis. Sugar: .46gms/100mL; pH 3.58
Titratable Acidity: .56gms/100mL
Alcohol 13.0%

So... it tastes nasty (can't get over the smell and taste). It cost me about $24. I want to pour it down the drain, but since I live just 10 minutes from the winery, I figure I'll give them a visit. I plan to take the rest of the bottle to them tomorrow, and hopefully talk with someone who knows something. I don't know a lot about wine, but I do know that that is some nasty grape juice! I want my money back!

Am I being unreasonable? Is this fair for me to do? What do you suggest?

I do wonder if it just needs to be stored for 6 months, and tried again, but it's already been opened so you know that's not happening. And you know my opinion of it, so I'm not about to buy another bottle of it to store just so I can find out if it does get better with age.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!,
Elizabeth :-)
P.S. Of course I will update you with whatever I find out. But if they don't treat me well tomorrow, I'm dropping my membership with them, even though I like almost every other wine they've made.

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 11-16-2004).]

- winoweenie - 11-17-2004

Wine with only 13% alc shouldn't taste and smell like you describe it. Somethings wrong with that critter. WW

- Thomas - 11-17-2004

Unless the regs have changed, they allow a winery leeway on alcohol. The wine could be as high as 14.5%, or as low as 11.5%, if it states 13% on the label.

Maybe this one is on the high side.

If you don't like it, get your money back. Maybe you can persuade the winery to allow members to taste before they buy. I certainly wouldn't have wine shipped to me, paid for by me, if I did not know what to expect.

- lizardbrains - 11-17-2004

Thanks for the quick advice. :-) You helped me feel more confident in the actions I chose to take.

I brought the bottle back to the winery, and told the cashier that the wine tasted "wrong". She looked surprised and said "Let me have you talk with our winemaker."

He came over, and I apologized for bothering him but that I thought something was wrong with my bottle of wine. He said I wasn't bothering him at all, and he would love to help me. He said it's probably corked if it tastes "wrong" (though I really didn't think it was). He poured some in a glass, swirled, and sniffed, swirled, and sniffed... then said "Oh. You don't like big reds?!"

Hmph. I told him I actually do appreciate hearty red wines, but that this one had such an astringent taste of alcohol I couldn't even swallow it. I told him that I tried again the next night, and even let it breathe for an hour or more before trying it again, and yet still more of the same.

He said that that's just how their cab. sauv. is - "a big strapping cab." He said he would be glad to let me exchange the bottle for something else (that was what I was hoping for, either that or my money back). Since it was a $27 bottle, I didn't want to exchange it for some of their lesser-priced wines ($17 range), so I asked if I could exchange it for their $38 port and pay the difference (I've had that one, and it's good - so long as I remind myself to sip and only drink the tiniest amount, not a whole glassful). Their computer couldn't charge me for just a certain amount, it had to be a specific item in their inventory, so... he just said to go ahead and take it, it was no problem.

That was very nice of him. Though I am surprised he thinks that cab tasted fine, I'm glad he let me exchange it for something else.

BTW, I'm cancelling my wine membership with them. Since they're only 10 min. away, it's smarter of me to just go in and buy the ones I want when I want - I'll be much happier. :-)

Thanks for your advice! I still am interested in what you think of my tasting - not that you've tasted this specific one, but have you ever tasted a cab that tasted horribly alcoholic??

Thanks!,
Elizabeth

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 11-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 11-17-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 11-19-2004

Liz, you didn't use the term "hot." That is what most people associate with over alcholic wine. I think it is a case of wine before it's time. It is a little early to drink a well constructed '01 Cab.

- lizardbrains - 11-20-2004

Wow, IK! Those were my thoughts EXACTLY!!!! Hey, maybe I *AM* smarter than I think I am!!!! ;-)

As soon as I tasted it, I seriously thought that maybe I had forgotten that I needed to store this one for some time before consuming. I actually re-read the tasting notes that came with the shipment, to be sure it was ready to be consumed. Sure enough, it didn't say a word about waiting.

When I talked to the winemaker, I even humbly suggested "Do you think it may become more mellow if it sits for a few more months?" He said that sure it may mellow a bit with time, but that this is just how this wine tastes. Hmph!

Hey, I'm really glad you said that, IK, b/c that's exactly what I was thinking. And from the way it tasted, I would say it might need to sit for a year!!! Yikes.

-Elizabeth
P.S. IK, sorry for the quick short note the other day. I just wanted to spread word in case you were concerned. :-) How are things with you?

- Zinner - 11-25-2004

Just remember that when you taste wine with a winemaker, and you criticize it, it's a little like being critical of somebody's child. Everybody thinks their child(wine) is the best and brightest thing on the block. How on earth could you think otherwise?

Of course you did the most appropriate thing under the circumstances and I'm glad it worked out for you. Stand up for what you like. But giving them a chance to save face by trading for something you did like was a good plan.

Those winery clubs can be a boon in some cases. Some of them throw parties for members or ship them special wines that weren't made in enough quantity to go to the general public. There can be nice perks.

But you shouldn't have to take wine you find unacceptable in quality. A fellow oenophile here in Birmingham was a member of a Sonoma one two or three years ago. He became disappointed with the wines shipped, even though he had liked their stuff previously, so he sent a very mild letter saying that he wanted to cancel.

They fired back a rather vicious letter saying that if he didn't appreciate their product, obviously he knew less than nothing about wine. They went on to say that since he was from Alabama, he must therefore lack acquaintance with the finer things in life.

Now this is a guy full well confident in his own taste, so he wrote back the funniest letter I've ever read--wish I had a copy. He told them that it was indeed a great hardship living within walking distance of the restaurant that Gourmet magazine listed as number (4 or 5) on their list of the 50 best in the USA(Highlands Bar & Grill). In fact, it was a really sad state of affairs that we have a major importer based here(Vineyard Brands, formerly of NYC and Vermont--importers of fine Burgundies and Chateau Beaucastel among others). He told them off while maintaining a very civil tone with it all.

If a wine club membership is not working out, do as you would with anything else. Trust your own instincts and move on to something more rewarding.