WineBoard
dont know much! help..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: dont know much! help..... (/thread-16742.html)

Pages: 1 2

- confusedalot - 01-07-2004

I am new to the wine thing and have a couple of questions...i'm looking to have a date soon and i want to get a really good bottle of wine....something well known and tastes good...i do have a bottle of Miranda Merlot 2000....what do u have to say about that bottle? is it good or what do u recomend...i really want to make the evening perfect...or do u recommend chanpange instead? please help!

- Drew - 01-07-2004

Welcome confusedalot. Miranda, Australia, makes some nice wines and I'm sure the merlot will please but please tell us if your planning to serve the wine with food.

Drew

- wineguruchgo - 01-10-2004

Hey Confused!

Just have to add that I grew up in Maybrook!

Small world!

- confusedalot - 01-10-2004

Dinner wont be served with the wine...we will be eating out that evening...the wine is for after dinner at my apartment...will it be okay? or do you think i should get something else? thanks

- Drew - 01-11-2004

Italian Prosecco, a white sparkling wine, with chocolate and strawberries will win her heart. [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Drew

- Tastevin - 01-11-2004

Hello Confusedalot,
If I'm too late and you've had your date, I hope it went very well and you both enjoyed yourselves. If there is still time, I would say this - Not knowing what you are going to eat and drink in the restaurant makes it really risky suggesting a wine that would make a good follow-up in your apartment. For instance, if you had a top range wine with your meal anything of a lesser quality may be a bit of a turn off. So, if you want to impress I suggest you go the whole hog (English expression) and have a nice bottle of cold champagne. Even if your date doesn't like it, she/he will surely be impressed. Good luck.

- confusedalot - 01-11-2004

We havent had the date yet....Its on the 31st when she gets back from a month in France. Wine will not be served at dinner so the wine we drink back at my apartment will be the first wine served. is my bottle good enough or should i go for something else? miranda merlot 2000

- Thomas - 01-11-2004

Wine will not be served at dinner? Why not? That's a great starting point to win her over.

its going to be late in the evening...so i dont think we will have a chance to go out to a nice restaurant since i'll be picking her up from the airport...i just wanted a nice bottle of wine to open while we are talking and stuff....i'm not sure if the bottle i have is good enough....

- Tastevin - 01-11-2004

Go on Confusedalot, push the boat out. Wine at dinner, even if it's just a glass or two of the house wine, then sail away with a nice cold champagne at your apartment.

the bottle of red wine i have isnt good enough for what i had planned that evening? what type of champagne did you have in mind? it has to be perfect and i would like to impress her but not dent my wallet too much...we are college students

strawberries and chocolate only go with Champagne right? dont serve with red wine? what can i serve with merlot?

- winoweenie - 01-12-2004

Hi confused. Have been following this post so here's my 2 cents. Drew gave you the perfect answer. Prosecco is Italian Bubbly but LOTS easier on the funds.A very acceptable bottle goes for under 10. If you are as strapped as my kids were in college, swing with the merlot. Stawberries wif' Chocolate goes with everything. Good luck BUB. WW

- Tastevin - 01-12-2004

Re the Champagne, sorry I am not familiar with prices over there. However, I suggest you try Laurent Perrier Non Vintage Brut, this is very good and has never failed to please me. I gather the price over there is around 35 dollars. Personally I drink dry Champagne with just about any food. May I suggest you try not to get too concerned about what to eat with what wine. However, whichever wine you're drinking do stay away from the enemies of wine. 1st enemy is vinegar; for example a vinegary salad will turn the wine to vinegar (that's a matter of science, not taste). 2nd enemy is acid - the acid of grapefruit, orange or lemon. You cannot taste a wine with these fruits. 3rd enemy is a bit of a mystery to me, but it's something in some kinds of oily fish which makes wine, and particularly red wine, taste steely. In my opinion peanuts too are a no no. If you decide to stick with your Merlot, then I would NOT have: 1. Any of the following hors d'ouvres - oil and garlic based; cream and butter based; generally smoked meats and salami; smoked fish; fruit based. 2. Fish pates or terrines. 3. fish souffles. 4. Any of the following soups - consomme, fish, broths, veloute, cold summer soups, hot creamy soups. 5. Rice dishes containing cream sauces. 6. Fish. 7. Desserts. I hope I've helped a little and not confused you. If you're not going to eat with the wine, Laurent Perrier Non Vintage Demi Sec may suit a young palate better as it has a touch of sweetness. Finally, and looking to the future, why not get yourself a book about food and wine? After all, this may not be the last time you will want to impress someone (:-)

- terrbear - 01-13-2004

Don't be confused...If she has spent much time in France (wine country!) she may have visited some wineries and knows just what she likes. If you are in communication with her, simply ask her what she likes, she will appreciate the effort. I like the idea of wine with dinner if possible and also the suggestion of buying a book, but better yet visit some of those wineries I've heard you have in NY and sample...It's the best thing I've done to find out what I prefer. -T

- wineguruchgo - 01-13-2004

Hi Confused,

So here is what I'm reading, in a nutshell. She is coming in from France and you are picking her up at the airport. Knowing that you have a 2 hour drive (1 way) to get her I understand you not having time for dinner.

I think the reason that everyone is telling you sparkling wine is because after being in the car for 4 hours, and her being on a 6-8hour flight, there is nothing better for both of you than a little bubbly. Women love bubbles.

Here's what I think you should do. Get a bottle of Frixenet sparkling cava from Spain. It's a black bottle and shouldn't cost you more than $10.00. It is a great bottle of bubbly that tastes like cream, vanilla and apples. Have a plate of strawberries, grapes and cheese ready to go in the fridge and a loaf of french bread that's fresh. She might be a little hungry when she arrives. Please understand that she is hours ahead of you and it's going to take her a while to adjust to the time difference. When you pick her up it will be approx. 4-6pm as far as her body clock is concerned. Also, have a few bottles of water in the car. Airplane rides that long dehydrates you. Do you have a few bucks to have flowers in your arms as she comes off the plane? That would be a nice touch as well.

You can pull all of this off for about $30.00.

One thing about women Confused is that we look at the thought and time that you put into what you did, rather than what you spent. The fact that you went through all of this will touch her heart, which ultimately is what you want, right? She will appreciate it and love the fact that you did it.

Unless, of course, if she's high maintenence then none of this applies.

- White Wine Lover - 01-17-2004

We're all rooting for you, Confusedalot! You seem very sweet and eager to please her, and that's really all that matters. I'm sure she will get that message no matter what wine you serve. Don't forget to let us know how it all turns out!

WWL

- yabloka - 01-19-2004

Hey! If he follows wineguru's advice, it's in the bag!

- confusedalot - 01-26-2004

hey guys! Thanks for all of your wonderful advice....The date is on for friday night and i'm really excited...i feel more prepared now for the evening....Thanks so much....Ill be sure to keep you posted on how things go.....

- wineguruchgo - 01-27-2004

Please do! I feel like this has been a group effort with our little one going on a first date!