WineBoard
need advice on talking about wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: need advice on talking about wines (/thread-16653.html)

- lizardbrains - 07-25-2001

I enjoy wine, and I just bought a book in which to write my notes about different wines. My problem is the wording it uses. Here are the blanks in which I'm not sure what to write:
Name of Wine
Type
Vintage
Vineyard
Region
Country
Producer

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to put in these blanks. Could you please help me, by giving me your advice? We could use the wine I have in my fridge currently, as an example... it's Sutter Home - Signature Moscato, 1998 Napa California, and then at the top of the bottle in smaller letters it says Trinchero Family Estates.'

My book is divided into White Wines, Red, and Specialty. I assume I put this into the white wine category, since it is white! And then I'm not sure as to what to say for the name - Moscato? Type ????? Vintage - does that mean the year? Vineyard - would that be Sutter Home or Trinchero Family Estates? Region, I would assume Napa, CA? Country - USA, of course. Producer... I have NO CLUE!

If you could please help me, I would be SOOO grateful! You seem like quite a knowledgeable group! And I would really like to learn more.

TIA

- Innkeeper - 07-25-2001

Hi Tia, and welcome to the Wine Board. Here goes, and I'm sure I'll botch at least one of them:

Name of Wine: Sutter Home, Signiture Moscato
Type: White dessert wine
Vintage: 1998
Vineyard: Unknown
Region: Napa, CA
Producer: Trinchero Family Estates

If they had asked for brand, it would have been Sutter Home.

When wine comes from a specific vineyard it is almost always printed on the label.

- wondersofwine - 07-25-2001

An example with a German wine:
Riesling, Sylvaner, Muller-Thurgau and others are names of grapes (these are white wine grapes).
The town name usually appears with an "er" at the end so a wine from Wehlen would be listed as a Wehlener.
The name of the specific vineyard or sometimes vineyard grouping (they have to complicate things) follows the town name. Wehlener Sonnenuhr refers to a famous vineyard with a sun dial (sonnenuhr means sun clock). The year is the vintage. The producer is sometimes listed after wording that translates as "estate bottling" and proper name. The region may appear in banner form above the rest of the label or be on the label itself and in this case would be Mosel-Saar-Ruwer. Other German regions include Nahe, Rheingau, Rheinhessen, Franken, Rheinland Palatinate or Rhein Pfalz.
The words Spatlese, Auslese, Beerenauslese, Trockenbeerenauslese, or Eiswein refer to wines made from specially selected, riper grapes which may result in a dessert wine. (Although a spatlese wine can sometimes be made in a dry style.) It does get confusing but a good introductory book to wines of the world will help clarify the labels.

- lizardbrains - 07-26-2001

Thanks for the info, Innkeeper & Wondersofwine. I'm working on figuring out American wines first - and then learning about world wines (maybe it'll be less confusing?). It's exciting, I really do love wine. Unfortunately my hubby only drinks beer, but every now and then I can coerse him into a sip of my wine!

What book would you recommend for beginners? I've heard suggested Wine for Dummies. What is your suggestion?

TIA - Thanks In Advance :-)

- Innkeeper - 07-26-2001

That is a great book. An even better one IMHO is Andrea Immer's, "Great Wine Made Simple" which is now available at discount.

- lizardbrains - 07-27-2001

Thanks. I'll have to take a trip to Barnes & Noble to see if they have it. I really appreciate all the advice.