WineBoard
Do bubbles mean the wine is spoiled? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Do bubbles mean the wine is spoiled? (/thread-16648.html)

- White Wine Lover - 11-11-2003

I have never had this happen before with a Pinot Grigio, but I opened a bottle last night and it tasted like there were small bubbles in it. In fact, after it sat in the glass a few minutes, you could see what looked like tiny carbonation bubbles on the glass. Does this mean it is "bad" and should be thrown out? The cork appeared and smelled fine, and the wine itself tasted OK, except for the "carbonation." It's a 2002 import, "Santi" Pinot Grigio. Any ideas?

- Drew - 11-12-2003

Secondary Fermentation in the bottle is the culprit and other than Belgian and Flanders ales where it's a good thing, it makes for a flawed wine. Return it to the retailer for an exchange. BTW, welcome to the Wine Board.

DRew

- White Wine Lover - 11-12-2003

Thanks, Drew, I will follow your advice. Glad I didn't go with my first impulse, which was to pour it down the sink! And while I'm at the wine store returning that bottle, might as well pick up some more! Anyone got a good recommendation on a medium-priced Pinot Grigio?
Donna

- wineguruchgo - 11-12-2003

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites, but I think Minini is a pretty good product for the price.

- Kcwhippet - 11-12-2003

One I like is Michael Eppian.

- wondersofwine - 11-12-2003

I may be misinformed on this. Maybe Foodie will know for sure. But I think some German wines are intentionally "Spritzig" (bubbly) when poured. I'm talking about what are normally still wines--not German Sekt which would be flawed if it were NOT bubbly. I've had some where it doesn't seem to affect the flavor. I don't really like Pinot Grigio or Pinot Gris so don't have experience with bubbles in one.

- Auburnwine - 11-12-2003

I wondered about that also. I would swear that I have had decent reds that have a touch of spritz.

- Brom - 11-12-2003

This condition (a very slight carbonation) is known as petillance and in no way indicates a damaged wine. You most often find it in Mediterranean whites.

- Innkeeper - 11-12-2003

I think most of you are being a little hard on the spritz. My guess is that the original PG with the spritz was just fine. If you do a search on spritz on this board, you will find that most of the comments are either positive or matter of fact. Interestingly Drew once found some spritz in a Duck Pond Pinot Noir, and still thought it was fine. Guess who opined that there must be something wrong with it? Now, I think I was wrong.

- Thomas - 11-12-2003

Petillance is a polite way for Europeans to identify a mostly benign problem that sometimes afflicts their winemaking practices. Unless a wine is produced to be a sparkling wine, or to be a medium-sparkling wine, such as some Prosecci or chasellas from Switzerland and/or Germany, a slight spritz indicates, if not secondary fermentation, than secondary winemaking skills or direction.

A still wine should be still. And I particularly abhor a red wine with spritz unless it is intended, as in lambrusco, to be spritzy.

All of the above is a combination of personal opinion mixed with what I have learned wine is and should be, and I know someone out there is going to pipe up with a response to the contrary.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-13-2003).]

- winoweenie - 11-13-2003

Done' look at me Bubba!ww

- ShortWiner - 11-13-2003

Aw, I've often had Italian whites that were just slightly frizzante, and I think it's great. Adds refreshingness!

- Kcwhippet - 11-13-2003

If they were Moscato d'Asti, they were supposed to be frizzante. If something else, they weren't.

- Thomas - 11-13-2003

Quite often high acidity comes off on the tongue as slightly spritzy--I don't know why exactly, but I know it happens. I stand by my conviction about spritz and still wine, and am glad, KC, that you agree.

- White Wine Lover - 11-15-2003

Thanks to all for the informative replies, and also the recommendations on Pinot Grigio's to try!

Donna

- willp58 - 11-16-2003

There is a local winery here named Johnson's Estate and they sell a "House Red" that is to die for..I drink 2 gallons per week and when poured it forms a very slight "head" it's so fizzy.
This wime is very grapey, mild and totally enjoyable.