WineBoard
Tasted as much today as I have all my life combined! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Tasted as much today as I have all my life combined! (/thread-16613.html)

- txkajun - 01-12-2002

Ok, I went to an all-wine shop today and tasted some wines. The shopkeeper had 4 bottles open, and I tried them all.

I sure wish I had more experience, especially when it comes to descriptions.

I had a Rodney Strong 2000 Sonoma County Chardonnay. It was ok, there was a sort of taste initially that wasn't great, but not totally bad. I called it "beerish" for the lack of a better description. (I do not like beer). It only lasted the second the wine hit the tongue.

I also tried Veramonte Alto de casablanca 2000 Cab. This I didn't like very much. There was a "bite" to it that I did not favor. But, on the other hand, the color was beautiful.

Then I tried Buehler Vineyards 1996 Zin. This, I did not like one bit. I thought the smell was harsh, although I don't know how to describe it. The taste was also harsh somehow, and I knew immediately that I was not going to try this again any time soon.

I also had a taste of Planeta La Segreta 1999 Rosso Sicilla. This I really liked. It's color was not as pretty as the Veramonte, but the wine was not at all harsh. It had a light taste to me. A couple, who was much more experienced than I, also tried it at the same time. They also mentioned the lightness, and the man said it had almost no tannins. I am learning here thanks to you good people that this has something to do with the harshness. I bought a bottle of this, and will absolutely return on future Saturdays for more sampling.

I brought my notes from here, and jotted down all the info on the bottles. What a fun time!

tk

- Innkeeper - 01-12-2002

Hi Tk, sounds like you'r getting into the swing of things. Good job on the TNs.

- Thomas - 01-13-2002

I particulary like your description of beer; one of the traits of Chardonnay fruit that I pick up is a maltiness--malt is used in beermaking.

- txkajun - 01-13-2002

foodie-

oh my gosh, did I actually get it right? freaky!

Today, (Sunday) I also ventured out on a hunt. I went to the closest winery in my area, but about 25 or so miles away in a tiny town called Poteet. Poteet is famous for it's strawberries, and in fact the anuual strawberry festival is coming in April. This town of just over 3500 sees it's population explode to several hundred thousand over that weekend.

The winery owner was most gracious, and took my friend and I on a tour, plus gave us the history. We also tasted all six of the tiny winery's offerings. Only two would be classified by the board as "wine", as it is made from the Mustang grape that grows great here, according to the owner. The others were two types of strawberry wine (obviously), a blackberry, and a pear.

I didn't like those really. But the mustang grape wines were good, and one of them I absolutely loved. I bought a bottle on the spot. $15 bucks for it, but I guess that's not too bad. I thought one of the stawberry wines tasted more like syrup than anything. I guess I should be cautious about saying I want to try sweet wines.

- Innkeeper - 01-14-2002

You wouldn't have to travel much further to get to Fredricksburg where there are a good handful of excellent wineries, and a couple of wine stores that let you taste wine from all over Texas.

- txkajun - 01-14-2002

yea, IK, I think I'll venture to Fredricksburg in the very near future.

- Duane Meissner - 01-14-2002

What winerys would those be? I'm not too far myself!

DM

- txkajun - 01-14-2002

Duane,

go to www.texaswinetrails.com. they have a list of all wineries in our great state.

- txkajun - 01-14-2002

Duane,

There is also the Grape Vine tasting room in Gruene. I have been to Gruene a couple of times, but not since I started getting intereested in wine.

I have been told it is quite nice, with tastings of many Texas wines.

I think I'll be doing that soon too.