WineBoard
Seghesio 2004 Sonoma Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Seghesio 2004 Sonoma Zinfandel (/thread-16611.html)

- andypandy - 02-27-2006

I bought this wine because I've been exploring Zins lately and had seen this wine recommended here and elsewhere, and, well, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm enjoying it with a block of moderately aged Gouda, and I don't know, it just tastes perfect to me. I'm not good at wine or telling you what flavors I detect (I wanted to say it makes me think of vanilla and portobello mushrooms, but that sounds ridiculous), moderate to low tannins, and extremely drinkable, all I know is this is fantastic. If I pick up a case or a few of this stuff, how long will the 2004 be good for? At what point will it start turning on me? I want to keep plenty of this juice at my fingertips. Other thoughts on this particular wine?

- Deputy - 02-27-2006

Wow, not cheap. Seghesio Sonoma Old Vine Zin at the BC Liquor Board is $47.

Yow.

- TheEngineer - 02-27-2006

Deputy,

Their regular bottling is around $18 USD and it is rather good.

- andypandy - 02-27-2006

the Sonoma 2004 goes for about $19 if I remember correctly

- brappy - 02-27-2006

Is this the old vines or just the regular sonoma zin? Actually, I don't think the old vines '04 has been released yet. Since this is the regular zin, I would suggest drinking this within the next 5 yrs. It may not turn by then, but it's full potential should be realized within another year.....Or so I think.

By the way, I like this wine as well. Before you take on a case of this, try the other zins from Seghesio (and others). I just checked the web site. They have a couple of single vineyard zins, and then the old vines zin. Any way, taste them all. Use the sonoma zin as a benchmark (since you like this one) and go from there.

mark

- Innkeeper - 02-28-2006

In the past there has not been a lot of difference in their two bottlings. However in recent years the Sonoma has been far superior to the other bottling.

- jv38 - 02-28-2006

"...(I wanted to say it makes me think of vanilla and portobello mushrooms, but that sounds ridiculous)..."

That description sound very good to me, to me Zins always have this earthy, peppery, and oaky aromas and flavor that I like.

Know I'm getting thirsty...!

- andypandy - 02-28-2006

It's not the Old Vine, it's the regular Sonoma bottling, to clear up that question.
Brappy brings up a good point--I should continue trying other good Zins as well. Any suggestions from y'all, using the benchmark that I really loved this one? Exploring wine is fun. I love trying something new and not knowing what I'm going to get out of that bottle until it's actually on my tongue. Some are very boring (like the Red Bicyclette Syrah I had Saturday night--I finally caved to their marketing and bought a bottle), but that's what makes it fun and exciting.

- GreggJ - 02-28-2006

Andy,

Other zins you might like in that price range include:

-7 Deadly Zins by Michael David. They also make a more expensive zin called earthquake that is just that.
-Cline Ancient Vines.
-Rosenblum, many single vineyards to select from. 2002 Richard Sauret and Rockpile are both very good.
-Ridge a little more pricey
-Peachy Cannon
-Rabbit Ridge Westide

Some a little cheaper 10-13
-Bogle Sonoma
-Cartlidge and Browne
-Cline again
-Ravens Wood

Also if you like Zin be sure to try the Italian version of the grape in the varietal called Primitivo, very good juice to be had there as well.

Hope that helps, I am a zin lover and these are some of my favorites.

Best!

- Innkeeper - 02-28-2006

Try some from Paso Robles, some of the best ever. Some we have enjoyed are: AJB, Eberle, EOS, Meridian, Pipestone, and Tobin James. If you join the TJ wine club (highly recommended) you will get four or five wonderfully different Zins per year. They are at www.tobinjames.com The list above includes both the very large and the very small. The small ones are worth looking up.