WineBoard
First time wine buyer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: First time wine buyer (/thread-16603.html)

- mennia - 08-17-2009

I never brought my own wine, however I tasted many different wines. I'm just not sure of what I like. What are some good wine selections either red or white?

Thank you

- winoweenie - 08-17-2009

Hi Mennia and welcome to the board. We have several members from Md. Where are you from exactly? They can point you to reputable dealers where you can taste and decide for yourself what you like and want to buy. WW

- andrawes76 - 08-18-2009

Do you like sweet wines or dry wines (not sweet)? Do you like lighter wines or wines with a heavy body? What are your favorite foods? Give us a little sample of what you're in to and we can probably give you some great entry level suggestions.

- Drew - 08-20-2009

Mennia Hi, what area are you from in Maryland? I know many wine merchants and can point you to one that can help you.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2009

Hi Mennia, and welcome to the Wine Board. Once you get any inkling of specific types of wine you like you can click on the various threads to find examples of those types try.

There are a couple that most people like and few dislike. Beaujolais Villages is an easy to drink red. It can be served chilled. It goes with most meats including burgers and even steak. Do not confuse it with Beaujolais Nouveau which comes out in November of the year of harvest and fades very quickly.

Probably the most versitile wine in world is the white wine Riesling. It can be made in versions that range from bone dry to cloying sweet. It can be matched with almost any food.

Good luck in your wine adventures.

- Brom - 08-27-2009

You must have scared mennia off with your talk of Beaujolais.

Gamay is the Devil's own grape.

Further, while I will admit that Rieslings may be drunk with any food, I really don't think it shows well (that is to say "matches") with foods traditionally matched with red wines, say f'rinstance red meats in general or p'raps a spaghetti puttanesca.

- Innkeeper - 08-27-2009

Brom, you've obviously never lived in Germany. Also, I did say that "few" dislikes.

- Thomas - 08-28-2009

In ancient days, when I operated my winery tasting room, a woman came in and announced that she wanted only to taste my Riesling because, she said, she drinks "...only Riesling, and with everything I eat."

"You drink it with steak?" I asked, incredulously.

"Wipe that sarcastic grin off your face," she said. "Yes, I do."

Lesson learned: never question anyone's taste, especially a customer [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- mennia - 09-02-2009

[quote]Originally posted by winoweenie:
[b]Hi Mennia and welcome to the board. We have several members from Md. Where are you from exactly? They can point you to reputable dealers where you can taste and decide for yourself what you like and want to buy. WW[/b][/quote]

Thanks I'm located in Baltimore

- mennia - 09-02-2009

[quote]Originally posted by Personal Wine:
[b]Do you like sweet wines or dry wines (not sweet)? Do you like lighter wines or wines with a heavy body? What are your favorite foods? Give us a little sample of what you're in to and we can probably give you some great entry level suggestions.[/b][/quote]

Well, so far from what I tried I prefer white wines...red seem to always be to bitter. I like light and not so sweet. Some dry are fine also. I seem to eat a lot of fish and chicken

- mennia - 09-02-2009

[quote]Originally posted by Brom:
[b]You must have scared mennia off with your talk of Beaujolais.

Gamay is the Devil's own grape.

Further, while I will admit that Rieslings may be drunk with any food, I really don't think it shows well (that is to say "matches") with foods traditionally matched with red wines, say f'rinstance red meats in general or p'raps a spaghetti puttanesca.[/b][/quote]

lol No sorry...I had to place this account on my bb to check it. Thanks for all the welcomes

- winoweenie - 09-02-2009

You're forgiven and again welcomed. Thot maybe you'd been spooked! Hope you get some good advice here as I said before we have some really knowledgeable members in Md. If enny-one of yuren questions pertain to the sticker patch I'll jern in. WW