WineBoard
Fat Bastard Shiraz Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Fat Bastard Shiraz Wines (/thread-16585.html)

- Kazual - 05-16-2005

Hello everyone, I'm new here and wanted some additional feedback on the Fat Bastard Shiraz Wine. How does it compare to the Yellowtail shiraz and any suggestions that you may have??? I just started getting into wines in January of this year and the full-bodied not so dry deep reds/ burgundy are keeping me hooked and relaxed. I am absolutely LOVING IT, as finally I can get into my love of nice wines that are reasonably priced. Any suggestions, please post/send your comments and reviews as you can. Would really appreciate your opinions. Thanks! Kaz

- winoweenie - 05-16-2005

Hi Kaz and welcome to the board. I've had a
large grudge against the brand since I lost my law-suit charging them with unlawful use of my nick-name without authority. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kazual - 05-16-2005

Hi WW and thanks for your reply but I'm a bit confused....so you really dislike the wine and why is that? And as you're at it....please suggest a good red of shiraz quality or close there of... Thanks, Kaz

- Innkeeper - 05-16-2005

I liked it when they called it Syrah as most French producers do. If they have changed the name to Shiraz (it is the same grape) it could be that they are trying to emulate the Oz style. Having said all that if it is still made like they used to, it is a nice wine. If it seems soft or flabby, my worst fears would have been realized.

- hotwine - 05-16-2005

Welcome to the board, Kaz. For notes on other Australian (Oz) wines, go down to the thread on Australia/new Zealand/South Africa. For notes on Syrah, go to the Rhone thread. Syrah and Shiraz are made from the same grape, grown in different regions, and the wines produced in those regions differ in style; Shiraz tends to be fruity, in-your-face, while Syrah tends to be more subtle with earthy undertones. Syrah is also frequently blended with other grapes, such as Mourvedre. Read, taste, taste, read, make notes, and develop your own preferences.

- winoweenie - 05-17-2005

Sorry Kaz was just trying to throw in some humor. Not familiar with the wine so have no opinion one way or the other. WW

- andypandy - 05-17-2005

i have also enjoyed the Fat Bastard Shiraz. In a similar price range, you might also try the Jacob's Creek Shiraz.

- wondersofwine - 05-17-2005

Second the suggestion of Jacob's Creek Shiraz or their red blends with some Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. Paringa Shiraz may not be as widely sold, but is an even better inexpensive Australian wine in my humble opinion (IMHO).

- Kazual - 05-17-2005

Thanks for ALL your wonderful suggestions....I will be ''wine-ing'' it this weekend, and also curious to try some other nice red wines that are not too dry. Love the soft fruit notes in red wines, so always on the look out for wines that release a nice fruit finish but are NOT from the zinfandel families nor sweet-sweet if you ger my drift. Any comments on the Louis Jadot Shiraz and also, I've seen some Beaujolais's Reds on the shelf at my store....is it a sweet-sweet red and how does it compare to the Shiraz? Personally, I'm trying to avoid a red that is sweet-sweet...would prefer a semi-sweet fruit note that's a deep full-bodied purple-color blend. Bought a Bin Lindeman 50 2002 Shiraz and it gave me a headache, also not fond of the Black Opal. Yellowtail has the 2004 barrels out and it has a 'coarser-type' taste than the 2002/3 barrels, so I'm back to scouting without getting a headache! Interested in quality wines under $20. Am I asking for too much??? Tell me and as always Thanks again!!!

- hotwine - 05-17-2005

Beaujolais can be quite nice... fruity, but not sweet at all. Look for wines with Julienas, Morgon or Chiroubles on the label. Jadot and Duboeuf are both frequently found on states-side shelves.