WineBoard
help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: help (/thread-16577.html)

- bonoman - 12-23-1999

Hi everyone,
I really love red wine. When I go to restaurants sometimes, I go to order a red wine and there are names that I don't recognize such as merlot, zinfandel, syrah. How do I know what kind of grape these wines are made with? Are there different types of grapes besides the basics?
Thanks

- Randy Caparoso - 12-23-1999

Although there are hundreds upon hundreds of wine grape varieties grown all over the world, there are only about a dozen major ones. Simply going to the store and examining the shelves will familiarize you with the actual names. Most American grown wines are sold by the "varietal" names. It gets a little more complicated with European wines, which largely are sold by the names of the places they come from (although they generally are made from the dozen or so major varieties).

It doesn't hurt to ask questions; which is a good reason to go to a store with a rep for knowledgeable salespeople. A visit to the library or bookstore doesn't take much effort either. But if you really cannot move beyond your computer chair, a number of Web sites have basic consumer friendly pages. Check out winespectator.com or wine-lovers-page.com for starters.

- Randy Caparoso - 12-23-1999

Although there are hundreds upon hundreds of wine grape varieties grown all over the world, there are only about a dozen major ones. Simply going to the store and examining the shelves will familiarize you with the actual names. Most American grown wines are sold by the "varietal" names. It gets a little more complicated with European wines, which largely are sold by the names of the places they come from (although they generally are made from the dozen or so major varieties).

It doesn't hurt to ask questions; which is a good reason to go to a store with a rep for knowledgeable salespeople. A visit to the library or bookstore doesn't take much effort either. But if you really cannot move beyond your computer chair, a number of Web sites have basic consumer friendly pages. Check out winespectator.com or wine-lovers-page.com for starters.

- Jerry D Mead - 12-23-1999

Bono...Merlot, Zinfandel and Syrah ARE grape varieties...some other grape variety names a red lover should become familar with are: Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Shiraz (same as Syrah), Petite Sirah (different grape entirely), Gamay, Valdiguie and Nebbiolo.

As to learning what each type tastes like and how they differ is a matter that only tasting can resolve. And don't just try new wines...write down the name, vintage year, where the vineyards are located, etc...and then scribble a few notes as to what it tastes like to you and whether you liked it a little, a lot, or not at all.

Do that for a while and you'll be giving lessons rather than taking them.