WineBoard
Ordering wine for a gift - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Ordering wine for a gift (/thread-16574.html)

- CherylK - 09-25-2006

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've asked a question but I do enjoy reading the postings. I'm amazed at all I have learned from all of you. Still a newbie, tho.

I want to have a special wine sent to a couple in Arizona who are "tying the knot". Champagne is an obvious choice but it sure doesn't have to be champagne. If possible, I'd like to keep it about $50 (hopefully including shipping). I know they are fond of white wines (I prefer the reds) but I don't know what to order or where to order from. Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

- hotwine - 09-25-2006

Rahter than buy something and have it shipped to AZ, suggest you use a wineshop there and ask them to handle delivery for you. A stalwart member of this board, Winoweenie, lives in Phoenix and could probably recommend a good shop for you to contact. He's had computer and Internet connectivity problems for about six weeks now, but is expected to rejoin us at any moment. Let's give him a day or so to check in and see what he recommends.

- CherylK - 09-25-2006

Good idea, hotwine. So, winoweenie, if you see this post, could you suggest a shop to call? The couple actually lives in the Tucson area if that helps. Thanks!

- hotwine - 09-25-2006

I should also have mentioned his drinkin' buddy bigredwines as a candidate for info on those shops. Are you there, BRW?

- CherylK - 09-26-2006

Don't know why I didn't think of this before but I'll be Bodega Bay,CA all next week with a couple of friends. We do this trip every year the first of October. We'll be visiting as many wineries as we can. I could ship a bottle of something from one of them. But even if I didn't do that, are there any great but perhaps little known wineries in Sonoma County that I absolutely shouldn't miss?

- Kcwhippet - 09-26-2006

Cheryl,

Take a look down at the bottom under Wine Country Touring/Dining. I've listed some really nice small wineries in Sonoma Cty that are not open to the public. However, you can visit them with an advance call, and you'll be hosted by the owners/winemakers. If you go to any of them, plan on about an hour, or more, visit. This isn't at all like visiting the larger, tourist oriented wineries where you stop in, taste a few wines and head out to the next winery. At the smaller family run wineries, you're there as their guests and you are the only ones there. It's a great experience.

- winoweenie - 09-26-2006

Hi Cheryl and welcome My fav haunt is Sportsmans at 32 and Camelback rds in Phoenix. Their phone # is 602-955-7730. They deliver and have an outstanding selection. WW

- CherylK - 09-26-2006

Well, thanks! I'm in Phoenix periodically and I'll be sure to stop in there, myself. I'll call them to order, tho. So do you have any suggestions as to what would be a good selection or should I leave that up to Sportsmens? They mostly drink white wines and I don't care if it's not a bubbly. Around 50 bucks or so?

And thanks to you, Kwhippet - I printed your postings on the wineries and I'm taking it with me. It'll add a whole new dimension to the trip!

[This message has been edited by CherylK (edited 09-26-2006).]