WineBoard
Gallo Cafe Zif - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Gallo Cafe Zif (/thread-16556.html)

- pamelah148 - 01-05-2006

Is Gallo's Cafe Zif considered a red zif. I noticed the label did not say white zif and had a very nice color to it. Not as Blush a deeper color than others I've looked at so far.

- wondersofwine - 01-06-2006

I don't think I've welcomed you to the board yet pamelah, so welcome.
It's customary to abbreviate zinfandel as zins rather than zif so your questions puzzled me at first glance.
I believe Gallo categorizes this as a red zinfandel but a review I saw said the color was not much darker than a white zinfandel and the wine was weak, thin and not characteristic of the zinfandel variety.
If you are looking for a fruity red zinfandel to try, may I recommend Seghesio Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel, usually a reliable product. In the Gallo line, the Frei Brothers Zinfandel would be a more attractive choice (but probably more expensive than the cafe line).

- Kcwhippet - 01-06-2006

Agree with WoW that the Gallo Cafe doesn't really represent a better quality Zin. Another of Gallo's Zins that's much more appealing is the Rancho Zabaco line, and I'd recommend you give them a try.

- barnesy - 01-07-2006

I agree.

We just merged with the major Gallo house in town. Be sure to skip the "Dancing Bull" line of Rancho Zabaco and go straight to the main Rancho Zabaco lines. Also, check out Cline Zinfandels. Particularly their "old vines" zin. It is quite nice for the price. (another one that is in our house)

Barnesy

- pamelah148 - 01-07-2006

Thankyou everyone for your input it is appreciated. It helps us beginners. I bought it this weekend and don't think I will buy it again. I am drinking on it at this moment and it is somewhat weak in flavor but not in alcohol. It seems somewhat flat, but I am a newbie and a lighweight when it comes to drinking of any kind. Sorry about the zif instead of zin. Guess my Kentucky draw is coming across.

- Kcwhippet - 01-07-2006

Actually, I think it is rather weak in alcohol, also. If I remember correctly, it has about 8% alcohol, and that's quite low for a zinfandel these days. Of course, I could be wrong because the memory starts to wobble a bit when age creeps up. Right, WW?

- winoweenie - 01-08-2006

I can't bemember IK. WW (KC, GAD, WOW, whom-so-ebberly)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-09-2006).]

- pamelah148 - 01-09-2006

Yeah only 9% but I'm a light weight. Two Glasses and I was feeling pretty good so I have to sip. But I can tell you this my blood pressure has dropped 10 point on both ends. I began not long ago drinking wine in the evenings for that purpose to try to avoid medication. I have gotten to where I look forward to a glass in the evenings. I've been drinking Reunite Lambrusco soft red and like that quite well. I really appreciate you guys taking time to answer our questions.

[This message has been edited by pamelah148 (edited 01-09-2006).]