WineBoard
Easy drinking wine for a housewarming - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Easy drinking wine for a housewarming (/thread-16486.html)

- Wine-Oh - 05-08-2002

We are planning a housewarming party for my sister and her husband and I am requesting some insight from you all regarding a red and a white wine that most of the guests would find pleasing and easy to drink. Is Chardonnay always a better choice than Pinot Grigio when trying to please the most people? Thanking you in advance -- I always appreciate your expertise and your willingness to share your experiences.

- Innkeeper - 05-08-2002

The operative word here is "party." There is a distiction between party wines and dinner wines. The first are drinkable by themselves, and the others go better with food. I have been to many parties, even those including lots of "finger food" where 1.5 liter bottles of C.K. Mondavi (not to be confused with Robert Mondavi) Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon did just fine.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-08-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 05-08-2002

If it's a warm night, chilled Sangria makes a pleasant red party wine.

- Thomas - 05-08-2002

Good advice form IK and wonders. At a party the wine is neither intended to nor will it shine. But it would be nice to offer something slightly different than, say, Chardonnay and Merlot; how about Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Franc; or better yet, a fine sparkler like Prosecco and a good Rose? Chances are with the last two choices, the wine WILL shine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-08-2002).]

- zenda2 - 05-08-2002

Ignore this if you've got a small crowd or a high budget, but based on many a 10-20 person housewarming party/bar-b-que I suggest 1.5 liter jugs of Lindemann's Bin 65, Alice White or Rosemont Diamond Chardonnay or Duboeuf's Vin de Pays D'oc Chard won't break the bank, and will mix well with party fare, an extra 750ml bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a 1.5L jug of Pinot Grigio provides an option for the ABC crowd, Cavit or Folonari are fine.

For reds, I like 1.5L jugs of Yellowtail, Alice White or Rosemont Diamond Shiraz, Walnut Crest Merlot, Concha y Toro Malbec/Syrah blend, C.K. Mondavi Cabernet, Woodbridge Zinfandel. These all go great with grilled meats and 'hearty' foods.

These aren't wines to write home bragging about, just affordable magnum-sized wines to drink and enjoy at parties.

- hotwine - 05-08-2002

Those sure beat the boxed swill of my misspent youth!

- Bucko - 05-08-2002

Yeah, but your misspent youth only ended last year! I'm still in mine........ [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but I NEVER serve swill at parties. I look at it as an opportunity to turn people on to wine, yet not turn off wine savy people. Wines such as Bogle's line are perfect for parties and won't clean out your bank account. Off of soapbox..... let the stoning begin.

- hotwine - 05-09-2002

I'm right with you there, Bucko. Whenever I can provide the wines for a function, I take the good stuff - not Ch. Lafite, but quality wines I'd be pleased to serve the folks on this board. Yet I know a guy, one of your fellow sawbones, who has a wine HOUSE beside his pool, tennis court and guest house, stuffed with really good juice - and he serves boxed plonk to guests, because he doesn't think they'll know the difference. (He's right; unfortunately, most don't - because he passes on the opportunity to educate them.)

Bailingoffthesoapbox

- Wine-Oh - 05-09-2002

Thanks so much for your responses. I am interested in learning more about the Bogle line of wines, since I am not familiar with those. Would they, do you think, be available in Missoula, Montana?

- momman - 05-09-2002

Hi, all. Mind if I jump in the group? I am American but living in France now, and have begun a nice collection (I hope) of French and European wines.

I agree that in a party, the wine should be good, but not outstanding. The french don't serve their best for parties and aperitifs, but won't hesitate to dust off a good bottle as a hostess gift (I have received some awesome gifts in the last 2 years). Sauvignon Blanc is a good choice. If you are having cheese as a snack item, a slightly sweeter wine is good, if you are serving meat snacks, the dryer is better. If in doubt, serve some of each.

Bonne fete!

- Innkeeper - 05-09-2002

Am not familiar with the Bogle whites, but have recently had both their merlot and their petite sirah. The merlot would be better for a crowd. They make a cabernet too, but I don't know about it. They make three whites, a chardonnay, a sauvignon blanc, and a chenin blanc. The last two are food wines, so the chardonnay would probably be a better party choice. If there is going to be lots of food available would swing to the SB or maybe a mixture of it and chardonnay.

Any major wine dealer in Missoula should be able to at least order the Bogle for you, and get it there quickly.

- Thomas - 05-09-2002

I agree with Bucko; serving something good is always better than serving mere plonk. Maybe most won't notice, but the ones who do will have had a memorable time.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-09-2002).]

- Wine-Oh - 05-13-2002

Would Prosecco work with different cheeses, artichoke dip, fruits and breads?

- mrdutton - 05-14-2002

As long as the cheeses are not the really harsh, hard cheeses like those you would use for grating.

Milder cheeses, fruit and such go very nicely with Prosecco. Not sure about the choke dip. However, the strawberries and raspberries I served a few days ago matched very nicely with the Prosecco I served. The fruit was topped with small dollops of creme fraiche (sp?).

- Bucko - 05-14-2002

Wait a minute, Foodie is ill, some get his temp, he must be febrile! Agreeing with moi? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Glad to see your sentiments TP. So many people have been blown away by wines at my parties that did not cost much. I'm not tooting my own horn, rather people drinking box wines get an eye-opening experience from tasting decent wines at a fair price. Examples are Reds by Laurel Glen, Bogle wines, White Heron wines (Washington), Canyon Road, a host of Cotes du Rhones, and a couple of Portugese reds who names escape me now -- I think one was Quinta del la Rosa. As Foodie says, many have come up later and thanked me for pulling out my "special" wines, only to be surprised by the Paul Harvey "the rest of the story."

- Wine-Oh - 05-20-2002

The housewarming party was a huge success and Foodie was right -- the Prosecco was a major hit and just right for a warm afternoon. Everyone seemed so impressed and wondered how I came up with such a perfect wine! I gave credit where credit was due and raved about "My Wine Site". . . . .(hope that's okay!). Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I find the research through Wines.com and all of you to be such a wonderful resource in my quest to learn more about wines. Thanks again!

- hotwine - 05-20-2002

It is indeed "your wine site", WO. With kind words like those, you can get anything you want around here. Glad your party was a winner.

- Thomas - 05-20-2002

Hotwine is right, and I hope winoweenie saw that quote of yours, "foodie was right," (about the Prosecco) Ah, sweet music...

- winoweenie - 05-20-2002

I thunk I'll thro-Upskie. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]