WineBoard
Beaujolais Nouveau release party? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Beaujolais Nouveau release party? (/thread-16445.html)

- Sarara - 09-14-2005

Hi all!

My name is Sara, and I am pretty new to the world of wine. About 6 months ago I was handed a wine list and asked to pick a wine for the table at a conference dinner and I just froze up! I set out to educate myself so that would never happen again. It has been enjoyable but difficult so far (in that my friends are still in the cheap beer-swigging college mindset and usually just scoff when I suggest a wine bar or a wine tasting party) but I am pleased to find this board and hopefully I will learn a lot here and eventually be able to help others learn as well!

So there's my introduction, now here's my question: having never experienced one before, I am interested in attending a Beajolais Nouveau release party or dinner in my area (even though I know it is mostly hype...any excuse, right?). A couple of months ago I remember seeing a website that had a list of events by area, but I can't remember where I saw that. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I would also like to join a wine club, but I live in MD which I believe is one of the few states to which wine can't be shipped (to consumers) due to laws and regulations. What is the best way to go about finding out if there are any wine clubs in my area?

Thank you all!

-Sara

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2005

Hi Sara, and welcome to the Wine Board. Nouveau is relased in November or the current year. Check with a local retailer on when he expects it. It comes by air and by sea. If you want to be on the cusp get the airshipped, but be advised that it is usually so joseled up that it is worse than normal. The sea shipped usually tastes somewhat better.

- robr - 09-14-2005

A "Beajolais Nouveau release party" is basically a concept created by a Beajolais winemaker a few years ago to sell his product. It's a nice light bodied red that doesn't last very long.

There are a lot of other light and medium bodied reds that are better than Beajolais, in my opinion.

It's all about marketing. But, hey, have fun! Drink lots of wine and dance like Zorba the Greek!

- AlpineOeno - 09-14-2005

To answer your question. The website you probably came across was www.localwineevents.com , which is a good one to track listings in your area.

- wondersofwine - 09-15-2005

You might check with Calvert and Woodley or Macarthur's Beverages (both in DC) to see if they hold a Beaujolais party at a local restaurant. Both sponsor wine dinners but usually geared toward more expensive imported wines. If you are purchasing Nouveau Beaujolais, I have in some years prefered that from Drouhin to that from Georges du Boeuf. Haven't tried Louis Jadot's which is another one sometimes easy to find.

- jmcginley1 - 09-15-2005

I've never been able to get into Beaujolais Nouveaus. Not my style at all. I'd much rather spend a few more dollars and grab a Beaujolais Villages.

- Etherized - 09-29-2005

I've always enjoyed getting a Nouveau every year. It's a tradition I've started since drinking wine a few years back. Some years are better than others, no doubt. The point is, get it when it comes out - don't wait around and get a 2004 BN (believe me, I see some of these still for sale, yuck!). At its best it's fresh, grapey, gulpable and entriely diffrent than any other Beaujolais. You really won't get the same feel with the wine with a villages.

[This message has been edited by Etherized (edited 09-29-2005).]