WineBoard
I discovered Alice! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I discovered Alice! (/thread-16393.html)

- willp58 - 02-19-2004

I have been drinking Alice White from Australia -- 50/50 Cabernet/Shiraz and I think it's great so far.
1.5 liter for 10.99 makes this a pretty good bargain as well.

Is this considered a good wine? If not, why?

- Innkeeper - 02-19-2004

Very versitile for a match of midweek menus, or intermittent quaffing.

- Dawgman - 02-19-2004

I have tried Alice White wines and have enjoyed them. What I find interesting in the "wine world" is that people look for confirmation that something is good instead of just going with what they like. If you like it, then it's a good wine. If you don't like it, it's not a good wine - for you anyway. I am fairly new to wine but I have decided that my own mouth, tongue and brain will decide if something is good or not. I will try wine as cheap as $2.99 and as expensive as I can afford. The price and reputation will not decide if it is good. Do I like it? If the answer is yes then it is a good wine for me.
This seems to be a wrong way of determining the "rating" of wine from what I have experienced in the wine world but I'll stick with it.

Just my opinion. Right now I am drinking a $6 bottle of Crocodile Rock Shiraz - fairly non-descript but I wasn't expecting much more.
Have fun and enjoy your juice!

- willp58 - 02-19-2004

Dawg, thanks for the reply...Must be I'm a clod because I've tried expensive wine and cheap wine...I honest-to-God can't tell much difference.
I guess that's why I ax ppl's opinion on the differnt ones.
Maybe it takes years to develop the very "advanced" taste buds for this..

- Dawgman - 02-19-2004

Hey buddy I'm right there with you! I'm waiting for my taste buds to develop. I was very excited the other night when I actually tasted the spices in a cabernet I was drinking. I have enjoyed my new hobby and intend to continue it wihtout prejudice as long as I can. I have to say one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had is sitting at dinner with my wife and daughter - neither who enjoy the taste of wine (yet) - I have my wine in glass and they have their grape juice in glass (my daughter even swirls her grape juice)and we enjoy a leisurely meal. That is the best "aftertaste" of this wine thing!
Enjoy...

- sedhed - 02-20-2004

Willp:
Consider yourself lucky and not a "clod". As long as you enjoy the wine, the cheaper the better.

- Thomas - 02-20-2004

Dawgman, you are correct: it is what you like that matters. My staff and I have to repeat that mantra on a daily basis to people who come to our shop seeking the latest WS rated wine or seeking for us to answer the question: "Is this wine good?" To the question we answer: "We think all the wines we select are good, or we wouldn't select them. But you won't necessarily like all of them. Tell us what kind of tastes you do like and we will recommend a wine you might like."

But--and this is a big, beautiful but--as you drink more and more wine you will likely find your taste preferences shifting. And, as you find wines that complement your meal better than wines that you once thought did a good job, your taste preferences will likely shift even more.

Once the wine bug bites you are forced to scratch the itch it produces for the rest of your life...

- Kcwhippet - 02-20-2004

We get that in the shop all the time. People come in with of wines that have WS scores of 90 and higher. They're looking to buy scores, not wines they like. We gently try to remove the papers from their clutches and ask what they really like in wines. Nine times out of ten they come back and thank us both for the nice wines and for saving their pocketbooks from total destruction. We tell them we'd be glad to suggest others when their tastes mature and they can finally tell us what types of wines they want to grow into.