WineBoard
Wine for a fairly knowledgeable connoisseur ? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine for a fairly knowledgeable connoisseur ? (/thread-16361.html)

- Tovi - 06-30-2001

I became allergic to wines a number of years ago, so have not studied them and would like to purchase a bottle of wine up to $100 as a 50th Birthday gift for an special friend. Any ideas? The gentleman's deceased father was a wine importer, so he does know his wines and I would hate to make a mistake (boy, did we used to enjoy some fine wines). ANY help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, is there a service that delivers in the Los Angeles area, since I do not live in CA?

By the way, I read the GREAT medical response to the wine causing headaches question! Although mine has evolved from numbing lips upon the first sip, into a throat and tongue swelling problem, it was helpful to understand it better. Thanks for the info - Although it did not help me be able to enjoy wine again [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] I do miss it!

- Innkeeper - 07-01-2001

Hi Tovi, and welcome to the Wine Board. The first problem you have is that, since the wine is for an event, it should probably be ready to drink. In that case a fine red table wine would have to be aged out. For a fine California Cab, the lastest would have to be a '92. Whether or not you could find one, and one for under $100 is the problem.

An easier approach would be to go with a Champagne. The best Champagnes, according to a lot of thought around here, are those produced by the Recoltant-Manipulants or grower-producers. These R.M.s as we call them a frequntly outstanting, and chances are your "knowledgeable" special friend may never have heard of the one you get. The R.M. is in the code at the bottom of the label. If, you can't one, call Wine Expo and talk to Roberto. He will wisk one or two bottles of a great one to your friend in L.A. in no time. Call 1-800-wineexpo.

Lets talk about you for a minute. Can you drink other alcoholic beverages? If so, you are allergic to grapes. Very allergic. I am too, but just turn red in the face. Most fruit wine is awful. However, there are producers around the country that are putting out dry fruit wine now, and some of it is not bad. We have a producer here in Maine that puts our excellent products. They are Bartlett Maine Estate Winery, 207-546-2408. You might give them a shot.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-01-2001).]

- Thomas - 07-01-2001

Tovi, your symptoms are severe and so I am interested in knowing more about it. I have heard of such symptoms mainly in connection with shell fish.

IK says you are allergic to grapes; is that true? If not, is it yeast or oak residue or something else found in wine? Do you know what causes the symptoms?

- winoweenie - 07-01-2001

Couldst' be the new price points , Bacchus? WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-02-2001).]

- Tovi - 07-01-2001

Innkeeper & Foodie -

Thanks for your replies! I will give Roberto a call.

No, I am not allergic to grapes or any other fruit, yeasts (at least not to breads, etc), but did have an allergic reaction to Strawberry Daiquiris - again, I am not allergic to strawberries, so decided it would be safer not to consume any kind of alcohol at all [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] I have had allergic reactions to vinegar (in salad dressings, etc, but seem okay with mayo and ketchup)- apple cider also causes reactions. Someone suggested that I must be allergic to something in the fermentation process, since vinegar and apple cider are also fermented. There have been a few times that I have just been near really strongly bouqueted wines (cheep red/burgundy wines at convention types of functions) and started tongue and throat swelling without even a sip! I have even had the reaction to meats marinated in wine, so cooking out the wine doesn't even cut it.

I've never had to use an Epi-Pen or anything, so I've been lucky! The effects vary from a shooting pain in my jaw (which someone suggested must be in glands located in the jaw area) with vinegar, to the tongue and throat swelling with wines. The effects last about 1/2 an hour - maybe a little longer and then completely disappear. It all started with immediate numbing of lips with one sip initially and progressed over a 3 year period to the tongue and throat thing.

It would seem this sort of reaction is pretty rare - I've never heard of anyone else with the same types of reactions. I spoke to an allergist about 10 years ago when this started, who said there are too many elements in wine to be tested for the cause. If anyone knows if it is actually the fermentation process and if so what about it causes this, I'd love to hear what it might be.

Thanks again for your help! I'm already recommending your site to others!

- Thomas - 07-02-2001

The main result of the fermentation process is alcohol, carbon dioxide, a little sulfur dioxide and some dead yeast cells. Maybe it is the yeast. They are not the same as are used in bread.

Do you have a reaction to sugar?

Bucko, get in on this one...

- Lil Ryan - 07-02-2001

Allergic to wine? Hmm... I've been wondering about myself recently. I can't figure out whether I'm allergic to alcohol or just a really light drinker. I turn bright red after half a glass (which, many of my friends attribute to the "Asian Blush"). However, this redness, which resembles a rash, covers my chest, my neck, and my upper back. After my third glass, I seem get a headache. Any thoughts or explanations? Either way, I just limit myself to two glasses =).

Tovi - be careful about certain drugs, as I'm aware that some of them use a fermentation process very similar to those used in wines.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Lil Ryan (edited 07-02-2001).]

- Tovi - 07-03-2001

Lil -

Sounds to me as if you are starting some kind of an allergic reaction. They tend to get worse with time, so BE CAREFUL!

Thanks for the info on drugs. I am also allergic to penicillin, which I think may have some sort of fermentation process to it - Maybe Bucko has an answer for that one.

- lizardbrains - 07-26-2001

Please be careful if you're allergic. My grandfather told me that he had a friend who had tongue-tingling when he ate canteloupe. One day the friend's mouth swelled so much he could no longer breath, and thus died.

I experience the same reaction to cateloupe, and honeydew - so I follow my grandfather's advice and NEVER EVER eat them.

Apparently this reaction (tongue-tingling, lips turning numb, throat swelling, etc.) is also caused my other things in the canteloupe family: honeydew, tomatoes, and other things I don't remember. Maybe there's a connection? I am DEFINITELY not a connoisseur on this subject of allergies, but I do know to steer absolutely clear of the things I'm allergic to. It's just too bad in your situation that it has to be wine.

- Thomas - 07-26-2001

Tovi, As soon as you mentioned penicillin I began to think you are allergic to certain molds. Have an allergist look into it. To some degree molds get into wine, especially wine that has either been fermented or aged in wood.