WineBoard
Need Advice - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need Advice (/thread-16323.html)

- PaulineF - 12-11-2002

Hi, I don't much about wine. My husband and I have a wine cellar in our new house. I'd like to give him a nice bottle for Christmas to start our collection. Can you recommend one (not more than $30) from 1998? Please provide length of time we can store it.

Thank you.

- Bucko - 12-11-2002

Need more data -- red or white might help for a start. Sweet or dry or bubbly? Favorite type of wine?.....etc.

- PaulineF - 12-11-2002

Oh, sorry...red, dry...something we can enjoy during an anniversary dinner (5 years from now). We usually buy what I would call "Supermarket wine" $5-10/bottle. I'm looking for something special. Can go a bit higher than $30 if that's too low a price.

Thanks!!

- Drew - 12-11-2002

Lots of good 99's from California that would go 5+ years at your price point, would probably stay away from the '98's as it was an inconsistant year. I would HIGHLY recommend the '97 Gallo Frei Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon at about $25 which should be easy to find or the '99 Artesa Napa Cab at around the same price. Also scan the boards for recent wine kudos.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2002

Hi Pauline, and welcome to the Wine Board. You sort of backed into some luck. The 1998 vintage of California Cabernet Sauvignon has taken a bad rap. It did not come on like gangbusters like the '97s and to some degree the '99s. There is a respectable school of critics who think this means the '98s may age better than any of the other two.

Because of all this, you should be able to swing a good deal. Recommend gettin a couple if possible of the same wine, because the second one may be even better later than five years from now. Go to a reputable retailer with a large inventory, and asked if he has any '98s from a consistantly reliable producer. Cakebread Napa Valley, for example, is such a one. Their '99 is selling for $50. I'll bet you can get the '98 for less. A personage with the initials WW will probably be along shortly to shed his light on the subject.

- winoweenie - 12-11-2002

Hi Pauline. I, like Drew , think the 99s' would be the way to go. The Pine Ridge Rutherford or the Sterling Napa are both outstanding wines that clock in under 30. Will give lots of bang-for-the-buck in 5 years. WW

- Bucko - 12-11-2002

There may be something sentimental about 1998, you uncouth old buzzards. Oh, wait a minute, that's me...... never mind.

- joeyz6 - 12-12-2002

Otherwise, 1998 was a pretty good year for Bordeaux; you can probably get a bottle for 30-50 dollars that will age five years easily. At 50 dollars in fact (maybe less) you could probably get a grand cru classé. Ask your local wine merchant what he recommends.

- PaulineF - 12-12-2002

Thank you all for the suggestions. As Bucko pointed out there is a sentimental reason for 1998. I will be shopping for one of those for Christmas. I will file the others away, for future purchase. Happy Holidays!