WineBoard
Beaujolais - too old? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Beaujolais - too old? (/thread-16253.html)

- lizardbrains - 11-29-2001

I was at my little wine store the other day, looking for a new Beaujolais (they've just recently come out, right?). Well, all they had was a '98 and a 2000. With the Beaujolais only lasting 1 year in taste (or less) from what I've learned... wouldn't these two wines be too old to taste any good? Or am I oversimplifying what I've learned?

They were both the same Producer/label - the only difference I saw between them was the year.

ALSO on the back the notes said that this Beaujolais is good to drink through 2 years from the date. So, the '98 (according to the label itself) is too late to taste good. Am I right about all this? They were cheap wines - maybe $6-8 - but I didn't want to waste my money on a bad wine.

- barnesy - 11-29-2001

The 2000 should be fine. I had a 2000 Beaujolais just the other night that was great. 98 was a pretty good year for Beaujolais, but if its from a lesser producer it may be over the hill. If you can find Louis Jadot's 2000 Beaujolais. Its the one I had the other night.

Barnesy

- hotwine - 11-29-2001

All Beaujolais is not the same. Beaujolais Nouveau came out two weeks ago and should be consumed by the end of January. But the Cru Beaujolais, such as Moulin-A-Vent and Morgon, can last a few years if properly stored. I'm still drinking some '97's and '98's.

- Innkeeper - 11-29-2001

In between Nouveau and the Crus are plain ole (it says nothing else on the label except "Beaujolais") and Beaujolais Village. Plain ole, depending on vintage, lasts a year or two after vintage. That means '99 or '00 could still be drinking fine. Village will go a year or two further. As Hotmail points out the Crus can go much further.

- wondersofwine - 11-30-2001

I tasted a very enjoyable Georges Duboeuf 1999 Fleurie at a restaurant recently along with a tasty and more complex Georges Duboeuf 1998 Moulin a Vent. Tried my grocery store for a 1998 Moulin a Vent to take home--they had the 1997. I didn't like it--after trying two glasses I poured the rest out. Over the hill--maybe? Most of the Beaujolais from the ten villages that are crus will be good for at least two or three years after vintage.

- Innkeeper - 11-30-2001

'97 was not a good year anywhere in Burgundy, including Beaujolais. All vintages since then, including hopefully, '01 have been excellent. Also enjoyed the '98 Moulin-a-Vent in a restaurant recently. It is drinking very well right now, but if I had a supply of it would not mind drinking it over the next couple or three years.

- wondersofwine - 11-30-2001

IK-thanks for the explanation. I was wondering, because the '98 Moulin a Vent did not taste at all faded to me and I thought it could go another couple years at least but the '97 was disappointing. That it was a poor vintage in Burgundy and Beaujolais makes
sense.