WineBoard
Caymus Conundrum??? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Caymus Conundrum??? (/thread-16252.html)

- Hoosierfan - 12-05-2000

Really enjoyed this white wine while I was on a business trip a couple of months ago. After searching for a while, I found a store locally which carries this wine. Unfortunately (especially since I am a "wine novice"), it runs about $28/bottle. Anyone have any recommendations for other wines (cheaper) that would be similar to the Conundrum. Thanks for the help.

- Drew - 12-05-2000

I've only had the Conundrum but there are other white blends that are similar and I'm sorry to say my brain isn't working this morning! One was an Obsession and the other was a Symphony.....can't remember the producer. Hoosierfan, I know others will come to my aid.

Drew

- Hoosierfan - 12-05-2000

Thanks Drew for the input (any info is good info)!

- Botafogo - 12-05-2000

Yes, Conundrum is a nice tipple BUT it is also the classic example of an American winery whose entire business plan is based on you being ignorant of (or intimidated by) the global marketplace: they haven't "invented" anything with this blend of aromatic varietals and a "neutral" base, it is the norm in Friuli where excellent examples can be had for under $20 and you should also check out some Edzelwicker from Alsace.

Roberto

- RAD - 12-05-2000

OK Roberto--

Strong opinions are fine, but baseless ones are not. How is conundrum specifically, and Caymus generally, indicative of "an American winery whose entire business plan is based on you being ignorant of (or intimidated by) the global marketplace"? Caymus makes good wines. Caymus also makes generally expensive wines, and people buy them. Good + expensive does not equal evil winery conspiracy. Caymus is not holding a gun to anyone's head, nor are they suggesting that similar wines can't be found elsewhere.

Believe it or not, everything does not have to be polarized into a good/evil dichotomy; most issues are far more complex than that.

To anticipate a few thoughts: Am I a "Caymus whore"? Hardly. Am I a rich, ignorant fool? Nope. Do I own a few bottles of Caymus? Yes, but only a few, and I own more of their $9/bottle Oeil de Perdrix than I do any other of their bottlings. But it is a gross, simplistic generalization to suggest that people who buy Caymus (or any other well-known, high-priced wine) do so out of intimidation, ignorance, or any combination thereof.

And Hoosierfan, sorry to go off on a tangent; I've not tried the wines that Drew recommended, but do know that you can find Ironstone's Obsession for under $10.

Off my soapbox now--

RAD

- Drew - 12-05-2000

Well said Rad..... and Botafogo, I'll bet the next thing you tell us is that Christ was Italian. I knew there was a reason I divorced my first wife.

Drew

- mrdutton - 12-05-2000

Oh my God. I thought Christ was a ......

Never mind....................

- thewoodman - 12-05-2000

Just to clarify a little, Obsession is nothing like Conundrum. Obsession is a sweet wine made from the Symphony grape (a grenache blanc and chardonnay? hybrid I believe). It's not bad for what it is, but it's not like Conundrum. Not that I like overoaked whites like Conundrum anyway...

In addition to Roberto's suggestions, I think the Loire is a source of some fine value whites as well.

- Botafogo - 12-05-2000

When Caymus introduced Conundrum their reps went around pushing it as if is was "new" and "innovative" and "unique", reminded me of Microsoft. It was none of the above, it was a nice but overpriced (and over oaked) homage to Friulian whites generally available with a little effort. Bonny Doon's Il Pescatore is both better wine and a much better value and states its inspiration on its label. We sell a wine from Puglia for $13 that the importer lists in his catalog as "the Poor man's Conundrum: better AND Cheaper AND Organic".

You as a consumer do not often hear the utter crap that comes out of the mouths of winery reps. Not that long ago emmisaries from Remy Amerique were telling everyone that Le Volte was from "the young vines at Ornelaia" when it said RIGHT ON THE LABEL in Italian that it was bottled FOR Ornalaia at a Cooperative Winery down the road. When confronted with this they whined that "that's not what they said in the sales meeting!" I could go on for days without notes.

Buy what ever you want but keep your eyes open for spin, bullshit and blue smoke. And, to quote my favorite Texan (singer turned mystery writer Kinky Friedman) "they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore"!!!!!!!!

GAWD DAMN I miss Jerry, Roberto

- RAD - 12-06-2000

GAWD DAMN I miss clear, concise, non-hyperbolic language. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] Somerset Maugham said it best: "To write simply is as difficult as to be good."

Conundrum an homage to Friulian whites, huh? So let me get this straight: an American producer paying homage to an old-world area that didn't gain notoriety until the late 1960s, when _German_ techniques were introduced. Nein!

RAD

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 12-06-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-06-2000

Now I think it`s apparent to all why I don`t drink SW`s. Must confess however I have a heck of a lot of Caymus in my cellar, have had a lot of Caymus in my cellar since the 1972, and as long as I can stand the sticker price I`ll HAVE Caymus in my cellar.Guess that makes me a "Wine-Spectator clutched in one hand and dollar bills in the other Jerk "Down in Shawnee they used to say " They be more than one way to skin a possum " Damn ( my first epitath on the board ) I miss Jerry too. His philosophy still adorns our Best Buy/ Steal deals thread. " A best buy can be a bottle of wine that costs 100 and tastes like 200.winoweenie

- Bucko - 12-06-2000

Jerk Down in Shawnee.....

No argument there.... ;-) As much as I HATE to agree with Roberto <bg>, he does make a good point. The Conundrum is nothing new, with great white wine blends being produced all over the world. I also find Conundrum overpriced and overoaked (sorry WW, no offense). I would like to try some nice Friuli wines to compare to other regions of the world. Are you listening, Roberto? Send me an e-mail and I'll buy a mixed case from you (reciprocal state so no problems) and report back to the board. You can't beat a deal like that. The proof is in the pudding.

BuckBoozer

- Drew - 12-08-2000

I stumbled on another similar white blend the other day named Evolution. The grape varieties were not listed and other than that, I know nothing of the wine. One of the clerks in my fav wine store said it was tasty but the owner wasn't available.

Drew

- janrob - 12-24-2000

Phelp's Pastiche might be a good alternative for half or two-thirds the price? A review of both is at www.winelife.homestead.com
Pastiche is under November whites, connundrum is April whites. I don't know what years were reviewed. Happy holidays.

- winecollector - 12-26-2000

Opened up a bottle of the 98' Caymus you guys were talking about Sunday evening with baked chicken with apricots marinated in Russian dressing. Never had it before, and was suprised with the sweetness, likely from the Muscat in the blend. I think I spent about $25 for it over here in PA, and while the wine and food paired well together, I'm not going to be in any hurry to go out and buy more at that price. As little as I drink white wines, I can usually find very enjoyable ones for not more than half the price of the Conundrum.