WineBoard
Please help.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Please help.... (/thread-16235.html)

- Ash - 09-25-2004

I am new in here and also in wine business. And I need your help and guidance. Your help will be greatly appericated.

When ever I make beeroot wine in the first month the colour of the wine is nice and beeroot red. But as and as the time passess by the colour changes. It get discoloured to brown. Can you please tell me why this happens and how can I retain the red colour.

I would also like to inform that when make wine I boil the beeroot and other ingredients in the steel vessel
and let it cool in the same steel vessel. And then filter it. Does this cause the discolouration. If yes please suggest me the correct method.

Please help with this. Thank you in advance.

Ash

- wineguruchgo - 09-28-2004

Hello Ash,

Here is my opinion.

Filtering the wine should not remove the color. What it will do is remove any particles that will make the wine cloudy. This should improve the clarity, not remove the color.

Not all wines age. It's that simple. Part of the reason that many wines are more popular than others is because they will last on a store shelf or in a cellar for a reasonable amount of time.

Wines change color because the chemical composition changes within them.

I'm not an expert nor am I a winemaker so I really don't have a solution to your problem. I only have an explaination for what is going on.

- Ash - 10-05-2004

Dear Wineguruchgo,

Thanks a lot for your reply. However, it has not solve my problem. the color still changes to brown. I am not sure if it is because of boiling the ingredient in the steel vessel?

I desperately wants to retain the beetroot red color which I get when the wine is freshly made.

Can anyone help me Please.

Thank once again wineguruchgo, your reply was kind of relief to me as I was waiting for someone to reply. And finally you replied. Infact I had lost all my hopes that anyone would ever reply as this query was not answered for a long time.

I hope to get some reply for this now soon.

- Kcwhippet - 10-05-2004

Ash,

What's most likely causing the color change is light. Beet wine loses its red color when exposed to light, so as soon as you've mashed the beets and boiled them, make sure you do the fermentation in a vessel that's not clear. Then bottle the wine in very dark bottles. As long as there's no light reaching the wine, it should stay red. Also, beet wine really needs to age for a year, or two, to lose its earthy flavor. I found this info by searching on Google for beet + wine + color. I found a lot of discussion and recipes for beet(root) wine.

- winoweenie - 10-05-2004

BEET ROOTS >>>>>>>>WINE???? Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin.W

- Ash - 10-11-2004

Dear Kcwhippet,
Thanks a lot. This information was really very helpful. I will keep this mind. From now I will store the wine is a dark bottle. Hopw this will retain the red.
And also thanks for the means and path to find more about beetroot wine.

Thanks once again Kchwippet.

However, I didn't get what winoweenie replied. Can you please explain what that was?

- Kcwhippet - 10-11-2004

Winoweenie only drinks grape wine, and only red, at that.

- Innkeeper - 10-11-2004

He is one of folks around here who thinks that wine should only be made out of grapes. I agree with that about 95% of the time.

- wineguruchgo - 10-12-2004

Something tells me that if WW was in India where Ash is and had no access to grapes he would be trying to make wine from dirt!

WW - God Bless Him for just trying to do it!

- Kcwhippet - 10-12-2004

Actually, there appears to be a burgeoning (grape) wine industry in India. From what I've read, some of the wine is approaching the quality needed to make it in the world market.

- Ash - 10-26-2004

Hi,
Thanks guys for the reply. I think it sensible to be register on this site. I think I have already made few friend out here.

Keep posting .....bye
have a nice day...