WineBoard
2 expensive wines, how did I fair? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 2 expensive wines, how did I fair? (/thread-16200.html)

- Peter rotelle - 08-28-2001

I recently went to dinner at Toppers on Nantucket? My wine expertise is minimal. I order the following wines:
Mazis-Chambertine Grand Cru '85
Massseto '92
I paid $215 & $190 respectfully.
What are the ratings on these wines and where they priced reasonably? I look forward to hearing your responses.
Peter

- RAD - 08-28-2001

I'm not familiar with these wines personally, but that ain't saying much. I searched for them both on Wine Spectator (I have a full access subscription), and found nothing.

That being said, the fact that 1) you bought these wines at a restaurant, and 2) this restaurant is on Nantucket, probably means that you didn't get the best "deal."

But all things are relative. Did you enjoy the wines?

RAD

By paying "respectfully," were you hoping for a better price? Sorry, couldn't resist! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 08-28-2001).]

- wondersofwine - 08-28-2001

I'm going to let a wine board expert answer the reasonably priced question. My own recommendation is that next time you try dining at Cioppino's. They do have reasonably priced wines and are recognized by Wine Spectator magazine for their extensive cellar and wine expertise and special wine dinner events. (Tell Tracy and Susan I sent you their way).

- Innkeeper - 08-28-2001

Could not find either of them on wine-searcher, with or without a vintage. Did you get the names right?

- Botafogo - 08-28-2001

The Burgundy is impossible to value without a producer's name. Massetto is a New World Merlot made by Tenuta Ornelaia in Bolgheri, Toscana and has become a cult item in certain circles (NOT mine!) and gets the big bucks.

- summa - 08-28-2001

Just so you know, the usual markup for restaurant wine is 100-500% of wholesale, and usually the higher end it is, the higher the mark up, unfortunately; so it is very hard to get "good value" buying in a restaurant. Retail will usually be less than 50% markup....

- Peter rotelle - 08-29-2001

Thank you all for your responses, my first time on the site and look forward to learning more about the world of wines!

Did I over pay? Of course, its Nantucket. I guess my questions should have been better defined. Are these wines expensive has-beens and the sommelier pawned them off on a sucker like me? The first bottle, Mazis-Chambertin Philippe Naddef, my wife and I both loved (and thats all that counts to me). The second, Masseto was excellent by my taste but thought differently by my wife. I would like to source both so I can purchase for home consumption. Any thoughts where I can find them?
As for Cioppino's - Tracy and Susie have a wonderful restaurant with very reasonably priced wines - I must agree.
Toppers boasts about winning Wine Spector Magazine's Grand Award (only 93 restaurants worldwide hold this honor). Is that truly a prestigious award? By the way the food, was in the top three I have ever eaten!!!!
I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

PS What is the tipping etiquette on wine? I only tipped on the first bottle, and to my waiter not the Cellar Master. Sould you take care of the Cellar Master (he was the one who kindly helped me pick my selections)?
Please advise........

- Innkeeper - 08-29-2001

Tipping is a volitile subject. The rule used to be one tip for everybody, except in New York City where you tip everbody separately (captain, waiter, wine steward, et al). In recent years the "New York rule" has been migrating elsewhere, usually to places habitated by New Yorkers such as Nantucket. Unless somebody tells me, I usually don't ask, and leave a 20% tip for all to share.

The problem is it really gets squirrelly. Have been places where I've ordered wine on my own, had the wine opened and poured by the waiter, and then had the wine steward come by, top off the glasses and chit chat. Have had the wine steward help with selection, open and pour wine, and the waiter topped off the glasses. Also, many variations on this theme. So how much do you tip who?

Another question is how do you tip other than your waiter? Do you itemize the tip on your credit card slip? Do you hunt down the wine steward and palm him a tip? If you leave it all on the table, the waiter picks it up.

P.S. Have used the male gender here out of convenience, not out of malice.

- Peter rotelle - 08-29-2001

INNKEEPER - thanks for the advise. I did as you call it palm the Steward ($20) as well as tip on the 1st bottle to the waiter. I wish there was a more defined system!