WineBoard
alternative to chianti prices - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: alternative to chianti prices (/thread-16190.html)

- jamey - 06-13-2003

Hello All,

I'm probably considered a novice wine drinker, although I am beginning to have an affinity for certain varieties. I happen to really enjoy a decent bottle of chianti (light, fluffy & velvety are all adjectives I have used when attempting to describe the taste) but I have found that I enjoy more only those that come with a higher price tag. Can someone offer a winemaker of chianti that is less than say, $25 or are there are other Tuscan wines that are similar but less expensive?

- Innkeeper - 06-13-2003

Hi Jamey, and welcome to the Wine Board. Try Cecchi Chianti Classico. It runs $10-$12. I love it loads.

- wondersofwine - 06-13-2003

Good suggestion! You may also want to experiment with California sangiovese wines (or have you tried some already?)

- jamey - 06-13-2003

Great, and thx to both of you. I will make that purchase tonight. I don't think I have had a california sangiovese-I'll ask the owner to point them out. Although, I think I am somewhat partial to the Tuscan wines for pure psychological reasons.

- Thomas - 06-13-2003

Don't know where you are or where you shop, but see if you can find Morellino; produced from the local Sangiovese clone, near the Chianti region. Wonderful wines and usually at wonderful prices.

- Innkeeper - 06-14-2003

Atlas Peak puts out a fairly widely avaiable California Sangiovese. It is nice, but have not found one from CA that is cost/effective versus available Chiantis or Morellino for that matter. I tend to think of it as a different kind of wine.

- stevebody - 06-15-2003

Price-conscious Chiantis:

Fatoria di Petroio, about $11
Straccali, about $7
Rocca della Macie, about $12
Badia a Coltibuono Classico, about $16
Badia a Coltibuono "Roberto Stucchi" (!)
about $17
Castellari Classico, about $16

Sangiovese:
Di Majo Norante, about $7
Umberto Cesari Sangiovese di Romagna
about $11
Badia a Coltibuono Cancelli, about $8
Celli "Le Grilliae", about $12
La Carraia, about $9

The Cesari, especially, is absolutely wonderful. The Di Majo is the wine of which Robert Parker said in the Wine Advocate, "It makes a mockery of California Sangioveses costing $30 to $40. This is the World's Greatest Red Wine Bargain."

I've probably left off a dozen Chiantis that would be equally wonderful. Best plan: attend any tastings in your area that feature Italian wines. They'll almost certainly have Sangiovese, in some form. Taste a lot and take very few opinions, including mine.

- jamey - 06-16-2003

thank you very much

- Brom - 06-19-2003

A wine you should try, based on at least the "velvety" part of your preferred descriptors is Isole e Olena Chianti Classico. It is near the top of your range, about $21.