WineBoard
$50 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: $50 (/thread-16184.html)

- amw5g - 05-20-2006

Recived a $50 gift card to our local wine warehouse (Total Wine) as my master's graduation gift from the in-laws. The wife and I browsed through the store today, but couldn't decide what would be the best use. Being an MBA now, I have to maximize its utility..... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

We've decided that it will be something we consume next year upon arrival in our to-be-built house, so it needs to be drinkable within the next 12-16 months. Tying in with that, we thought maybe something specific to vintages '96 (year we met) or '02 (year married).

Of course we recently experienced the devastating loss of our two (four-legged) kids when we boarded them at a less-than-competent kennel; and thought that vintages '01 (year we got our beautiful daughter) or '03 (year we got our handsome son) would be fitting tributes. But trying to tie vintages for sentimental reasons to decent quality/price wines often goes unrecommended.

So, I turn to you folks for some guidance. We like fruit-driven reds that show signs of complexity- in our opinion, this includes wines like Edgewood CS, Ridge Three Valleys, & BV Tapestry. We like very few whites, but typically gravitate towards the dessert styles like ice wine, TBAs, late harvest & botryitis-affected. We have, however, enjoyed Caymus Conundrum & Mer Soleil Chardonnay.

Region isn't important, in our opinion but we have had a great deal of luck with West Coast wines (took a lovely trip to Napa & Sonoma counties a few years back, so we hold a fondness for them).

Tall order, I know, but any suggestions for how to use this card? Local shop is here:
http://www.wineaccess.com/store/totalwine-university/

I do appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have.
Cheers!
-Amw5G

- oostexan - 05-20-2006

My favorite $50 bottle of wine is Robert Craig Affinity. The current release (2003) needs a year to loosen up, so that might work out nicely.

Of course, if I had 50 bucks and was on a tight budget I might consider buying two bottles of JC Cellars or Novy Syrah. But thats just me...

- winoweenie - 05-21-2006

Hi Am and congrats on your acheivement. I like Oos' reccomendation as the Affinity is a Meritage like the Tapestry only with a little more oomph. WW

- amw5g - 05-23-2006

Thankee kindly

- amw5g - 06-03-2006

No Affinity, sadly [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]. So we picked up a 2002 Chappellet CS Signature.

Was also considering a 2000 Duckhorn CS, but figured we don't have intelligent enough palates to find any potential appreciable difference for the increase in price.

Shhhhh...he's sleeping now.

- oostexan - 06-05-2006

Dan Duckhorn makes good wine, but I think there are bottles that are very competitive for the price. Generally speaking, you might want stay away from the 2000 vintage of Cali Cab unless you have the opportunity to taste it. Once again, this is generally speaking.

I have not bought Duckhorn in a while, but I will assume you have 50 bucks burning a hole in your pocket and you want a Cali Cab or blend.

If I were you, I would look at current bottlings of:

Peter Franus Cabernet
Frank Family Vineyards Cabernet
Larkmead Cabernet
Flora Springs Trilogy (a Bordeaux blend that retails at 60)

If you want to try something a little different that really wakes up your taste buds, look at Syrah bottlings from Ojai, JC Cellars, Novy or Pax. All have cuvees in the 50 dollar range that offer a very interesting change of pace. Believe me, your family and friends will enjoy it.

- amw5g - 06-07-2006

Thanks Oos, duely noted for another day. Unfortunately, not a single bottle you mention is carried by this retailer. I've heard good things about the Novy, especially.
-Amw 5G

- wondersofwine - 06-08-2006

I was impressed with the Larkmead Cabernet Sauvignon and it is reasonably priced. It is available from Carolina Wine Company which delivers to Charlotte (I don't know if they have sold out on their last shipment or not).

- amw5g - 06-08-2006

Larkmead eh? Total Wine no carry, either....

Just like WalMart, if they don't carry it, they don't carry it. It's not the kind of place that will bring in a bottle or case for you upon request.

- Kcwhippet - 06-08-2006

Sounds like Total Wine isn't really all that TOTAL. If you want a wine here, and we don't have it in the shop, we'll get it from whichever distributor brings it into the state.

- brappy - 06-08-2006

Am, here is just a small list:

Cain Cellars Cabernet Cuvee Napa Valley, NV $22.99
Chateau Montelena Winery Zinfandel St. Vincent Napa Valley; No year given, $26.99
Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, 2001 $32.99
Duckhorn Vineyards Merlot Napa Valley, 2002 $49.99
Ferrari-Carano Winery Zinfandel, 2001, $24.99
Frog's Leap Winery Zinfandel Napa Valley, 2002, $23.99

I could keep going. They have plenty of wine that fits your specs.......even if thier level of service is far below "good". Of course, it may be, you dealt with the wrong person. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't bring a wine in for you when all it takes for them is a phone call and a day or two. They'ld probably have a customer for life out of the deal............

mark

- Thraz - 06-09-2006

As a matter of fact I have ordered wine through Total even if they do not normally carry it. I occasionally do that because their prices are usually very good. Their selection is also very, very large. Lest you thin I own stock, they do have flaws. They don't ship; and they will let wine, sometimes great wines, stand upright on shelves for months under bright, warm spotlights. But if you know to avoid those (if you ask, they will actually go to the computer and tell you how long a wine has been sitting on the shelf), it is a great store with a huge selection and great values. I'm a fan.

- amw5g - 06-10-2006

Good to hear about your experience Thraz, I must have just gotten an inexperienced worker. We stop by every Saturday, so I'll inquire about special orders next time I'm there.
-Amw 5G