WineBoard
Name one wine.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Name one wine.... (/thread-16151.html)

- girlperson1 - 01-26-2003

If you could name one wine that is your all-time favorite, no holds barred, which wine would it be?

Also, a few words as to WHY your all-time favorite is your all-time favorite. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you.

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2003

How bout the best one this year? That would be the Terre Rouge Noir. See post under Rhone.

I'm thinking more in terms of the best you EVER had, even if it was a bottle of "something" 20 years ago.

We're talking "nostalgia" here.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2003

Can't even remember the best one from last year! Someone mentioned that I posted at least three "best of the year"s.

- dananne - 01-26-2003

For me, if I had to list an all-time favorite wine it would have more to do with the circumstances surrounding the consumption of the wine than what was actually in the bottle as emotion is so hard to take out of the equation. A 1998 Daniel Gehrs pinot noir consumed at the beach on a wonderful 7th wedding anniversary evening would fall into that category. On this past Christmas Eve, after opening gifts, my wife and I shared a 1994 Marques de Murrieta Castello Ygay Gran Reserva Rioja over a romantic dinner that could easily have been the best wine I've ever had.

Dan..........Sounds lovely.....!!!!

- Drew - 01-26-2003

For me it was a '93 Chateau St. Jean, Cinq Cepages, 2 years ago with my wife on the west coast of Florida Gulf at sunset.

(blushing)Drew

Drew..........another romantic....how lovely!!

- winedope1 - 01-26-2003

hmmm... that would be a a lovely bottle purchased on Roberto's advice. a bottle of Jean Milan Champagne- Tendresse. certainly was great and impressed the very special person it was shared with!!! WD

- Kcwhippet - 01-26-2003

Well, for me it was a 1981 Sebastiani Eagle Vineyard Cab. I lived in California and my now wife was in Massachusetts. We met initially at a trade show in Detroit and we were carrying on a very long distance relationship meeting every few months at one show or another. I brought the wine to a show in Chicago and poured it for her to show her what a nicer wine than Riunite could taste like. I proposed - she accepted. We've since had many other much better wines, but none with such a memory attached.

Well!! Looks like wine is truly a "nectar of the heart".....

Love stories sound so extraordinary with a nice bottle of wine.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- stevebody - 01-27-2003

GP,

Two:

A 1997 La Carraia Fobbiano, drunk at least 15 degrees too cold, on a pitch-black beach in November in Long Beach, Washington, at 3:30 a.m., while watching the Perseid meteor shower with my now-fiancee. Had the rest at breakfast the next morning with Judye, without (literally) stars in my eyes and it was just as fabulous.

A gift bottle of Peter Lehmann 1995 Stonewell Shiraz, sent to me by the Lehmann management for selling over 1000 cases of their Barossa Cabernet which had just been gathering dust in their distributor's warehouse here in Seattle. Drank this with Judye, too...on a Tuesday, for no special reason. Nose of roses, lavender, honeysuckle, lanolin, and butterscotch. Apricots, roses, blackberry syrup, espresso, lead pencil, tar, limestone and glycerine on the palate. Complex as differential calculus and polished as a river rock. Freakin' astonishing flavors and aromas. Forever cured my habit of looking down my nose at Aussie Shiraz.

Yeah, the situation has something to do with it, GP. But the wine has to be fantastic, too. Great romance doesn't cure crap wine.

- girlperson1 - 01-27-2003

Drinking a good wine while watching on of God's spectatular light shows sounds nothing short of a great time.

All these stories sound wonderful.

- wondersofwine - 01-27-2003

Favorites from the past: for reds, Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandels (I didn't record the vintages but guessing from the years I lived in Monterey, California suspect they were early 80's). For whites: German rieslings from Wiltinger area (Saar tributary of the Mosel). Loved a Montrachet that I tasted at a wine education class but have never owned a full bottle.
More recently: red: 1999 Arlaud Morey-St.-Denis "Les Ruchots" 1er cru; white: 1999 Karlsmuhle Lorenzhofer Riesling Eiswein from the Ruwer tributary of the Mosel. Also some favorite "tastings" (didn't have a bottle): Alex Gambal's '99 Bonne Mares, a Raphet '99 Clos de Beze, '99 Robert Foley Claret, Leroy 1969 Montrachet, etc.
Why these are my favorites--the notes on the Karlsmuhle Lorenzhofer are on the German thread. The Bonne Mares and Clos de Beze are both grand cru Burgundies where the aroma/bouquet is a fabulous part of the overall experience of the wine. I remember the '99 Clos de Beze as being a wine that caused a reaction of "Wow!" from first sniff.
The '66 Montrachet tasted fresh and young although I was tasting it in 2002! With the Ridge Lytton Springs I can't recall specifics but just remember them as wonderful.
My romantic memories relate more to a simple Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling or the like.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-27-2003).]

- lizardbrains - 01-31-2003

Okay, so I'm not as experienced in wines as most everyone else! BUT I'll still put in my opinion! :-)

My favorite (thus far - and I'd only been getting into wines for about a year when I got pregnant and had to take a sobatical) is Kendall Jackson Chardonnay - the good one. I forget if it's called Vitners Reserve, or whatever they call it, but it's the bump-up from the normal one.

I first had it at an engagement party thrown by someone who had muchos money! We went through so many cases, it amazed me! The host of the party felt it his duty to keep everyone's glass full, no matter how many refusals he received! It was a great night, with a wonderful wine! The whole night was spent wondering if I should have another drink despite the fact that I might fall over soon from over-consumption of the delicious wine! Fortunately, I wasn't driving!

Of course I've had it on subsequent occasions, and enjoyed it just as much!

P.S. I'm not normally into SW, but I haven't found a red wine (YET) that has matched that quality (for my price range)!

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 01-31-2003).]

- lizardbrains - 01-31-2003

Well, shoot. Now you have me getting nostalgic and I've thought of another wine I loved! It was with that same friend (who was engaged) - he bought a $30 bottle of Moet et Chandon from the grocery store (solely b/c he knew it was French, and thus "real" Champagne). He was moving away, and wanted to have a toast with the 2 couples that he was leaving behind (my DH & I, and another couple). The Champagne was great - the best I've had (so far)! And my non-wine-liking DH actually liked it, which was a miracle!!!

- drutzen - 01-31-2003

T J Swan, Mellow Nights

-no, I am not Paul Harvey-
you don't get the rest of the story
let your imaginations flow.

It was fun