WineBoard
Popping the cork - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Popping the cork (/thread-16147.html)

- andypandy - 03-31-2005

Popping the cork is bad for sparkling wines and Champagnes, that I know. What about for flat wines? Usually when I pull the cork out there's a little pop at the end, but I never worried about it too much, until once a man who acted like he knew a lot about wines grunted in disgust when he heard that little pop. Does this somehow "bruise" the wine or something? And how do I avoid that little pop if it is undesireable? Thanks.

- Thomas - 03-31-2005

The only reason you don't want a cork to pop in sparkling wine is because it might let a lot of the wine spray out.

A popping cork doesn't bruise anything, except maybe the ego of the guy who thinks he knows what he is talking about.

- Innkeeper - 03-31-2005

Welcome to the Wine Board, Andy. Foodie is right on as he is wont to.

- wdonovan - 03-31-2005

I think the man was a grouch and did not like the noise. The reason for avoiding the pop with Champagne is that the violent release of pressure causes the wine to shed part of its effervescence. You have paid for the bubbles, why not drink them along with the wine? You can see how this has no application with still wine. Other reason is the safety factor.

IK - What means "Foodie is right on as he is wont to"?

- wineguruchgo - 03-31-2005

Hi Andy,

If you can find a double hinged corkscrew you can un-cork a bottle without a pop. Do you work in a restaurant by chance? If so, you really don't want the pop.

If you can't find a double hinged corkscrew then here is what you do. Put the screw into the cork as low as you can. Put the hinge on the bottle and start to pull up. When you feel that the cork is just about to leave the bottle pull lightly on the cork with your hand - not the hinge. This will prevent the pop.

With Champagne or Sparkling wine you need to turn the bottle, not the cork! There is less chance of the cork flying out. You will feel the pressure pushing the cork out. When you feel that the cork is about to exit the bottle push it in while turning the bottle. Basically a torque move. This will eliminate a big "pop" and you should have a little "fst" sound.

Hope that helps.

- Georgie - 03-31-2005

Popping the cork on champagne is also bad for windows. We lost a kitchen window one New Year's Eve...

- Innkeeper - 03-31-2005

Don, "wont to" means "in the habit of."

- andypandy - 04-01-2005

Thanks for all the replies. wineguruchgo, yes I do work in a restaurant (not a real fancy one, by the way. We don't have a sommelier or anything like that). But why is the little pop undesireable in the restaurant if it has no negative effect on the wine? I asked the bartender and she said there is always a little pop when removing the cork. As far as the wine key goes, I use a basic waiter's corkscrew. Thanks.

- Thomas - 04-01-2005

When opening a bottle with the waiter's corkscrew you often get a small pop, but it depends on the tightness of the cork in the bottle.

I really don't think it's a big deal in a restaurant, but there are some who find it unworthy of fine dining. In a restaurant I look for good service and good food and wine. By good service I don't mean overly attentive, just discretely attentive. I am more annoyed by a waiter who interrupts my conversation to find out if everything is all right than if the cork pops.

- wineguruchgo - 04-01-2005

I think, in a restuarant, a pop of a cork is similar to putting a plate on the table too hard. Customers will also look at you as more professional when you silently pull the cork and more often than not it's one of the first impressions they will have of you. I have been in the restaurant business for years and as Foodie (?) said, the more discreet you are the better. Popping a cork is garnering for attention and there is a better chance of you getting splashes from it all over your shirt.

If you focus on pulling when you are close to the lip of the bottle you will see the difference. It just takes a little practice.