WineBoard
Rare Wines for Sale (for a steal) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Rare Wines for Sale (for a steal) (/thread-1611.html)

- danstainer - 01-14-2002

Greetings:

I'm looking to sell my small wine collection, in full or by the bottle (preferably in full). My collection is in good to excellent condition. All bottles have been stored (on their side) in a dark, cool basement since their purchase in 1989. I am not a professional collector with the financial resources to purchase expensive wine cellar or refrigeration equipment. However, having opened and consumed many of my bottles over the years, I can assure any novice to intermediate-level collector that my wines have maintained their taste/storage integrity throughout the years. I am selling my collection entirely for the following reasons: 1) I need the cash for a home improvement project; 2) My wife does not like red wine and I have nobody to share my bottles with; 3) I was never a serious collector anyhow.

Sale pricing is highly negotiable, however, I have done enough research on my 13 bottles to know that many of my wines are extremely valuable, and have fetched very steep prices on wine auction sites. Regardless, I'm willing to offload all or some of my bottles for a mere fraction of those amounts. Below is what I'm offering. If you are interested, please e-mail me at danstainer@hotmail.com. Make me an offer...

1982 Cos (Cos d'Estournel vineyard; Saint-Estephe region) - French superstar; paid $100 back in '89.

1980 Rubicon (Niebaum-Coppola Estates vineyard; Napa region) - Famous director; only 3,500 cases sold.

1981 Rubicon (Niebaum-Coppola Estates vineyard; Napa region) - Famous director; only 3,500 cases sold.

1984 Dominus (Dominus Estate vineyard; Napa region) - 84' vintage is equal or better than famous '74 vintage.

1988 Pinot Noir Reserve (Robert Mondavi vineyard; Napa region) - hand-signed by Robert Mondavi.

1985 Tinto (Pesquera of Alejandro Fernandes vineyard; Ribera Del Duero Spain region) - Called P'etrus of Spain.

1983 Pinot Noir (Joseph Swan vineyard; Northern Sonoma region) - Swan died a year later. Only 1,200 cases sold.

1986 Prieure - Lichine (Prieure-Lichine vineyard; Margaux France region) - Lichine died in 88; 35th anniv. bottle.

1970 Tinto Cosecha (Palacio de Arganza vineyard; Leon Spain region) - bought in Spain, not in USA.

1988 Dieux Telegraphe (du Vieux Telegraphe vineyard; Chateauneuf-du-Pape region) - Rare wine.

1980 Signature Series II - Rare Oloroso "Siglo XX" imported Sherry (A.R. Valdespino producer) - Sherry laid down in 1900.

1989 Touraine Red (Val De Loire vineyard; Touraine region) - Bought in France; official bottle of French Bicentennial. CAN'T BE PURCHASED IN USA!!!

1989 Touraine White (Val De Loire vineyard; Touraine region) - Bought in France; official bottle of French Bicentennial. CAN'T BE PURCHASED IN USA!!!

- Kcwhippet - 01-15-2002

Well, you're not getting much action here or on Mark Squire's EZine. The folks on the Wine Lovers Page seems to not be terribly interested, either. Anyway, I started a little research on your bottles, too, and I don't see which ones are "extremely valuable". You say you paid $100 for the Cos back in 89. It seems to be going for a low of $135 and a high of $146.25 on the auction circuit. The 80 Rubicon is getting $39.38 and the 84 Dominus is getting $73. I'm finding the Tinto Cosecha at $26. Etc. etc. Also, I hope you realize that if you sold directly to a collector, you'd get somewhat less than the auction prices.

Personally, I'm not a fan of wines that old for a number of reasons. First, I have no idea of the real long term storage conditions of each of the wines. For instance, how many different places has the Tinto Cosecha been since release. You say it's been in a dark, cool basement since 1989. Where was it for the previous 19 years? At any rate, I really like younger, fruitier wines, so yours have no appeal to me.

Good luck.

- chad o'brien - 02-28-2002

How do you do that kind of research to find out how much a bottle should cost etc. Is their a different site to log on.
Thanks;
Chad

- mrdutton - 02-28-2002

One such place is www.wine-searcher.com.

There are others, including the auction houses.