WineBoard
icewine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: icewine (/thread-16066.html)

- winer - 12-04-2004

I have an embarassing question. I was given a small bottle of icewine. Question: Do you serve it chilled or at room temperature?

- Innkeeper - 12-04-2004

Serve it very cold.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-04-2004

Ice cold... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- californiagirl - 12-04-2004

What is a small bottle? Most Ice Wine's I've come across are in 375ml bottles. Can you get them any larger?

Please post your tasting notes so we may all share. I just adore good Ice Wines!

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 12-04-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-05-2004

What good Ice Wines have you had, cg?

- californiagirl - 12-05-2004

Well, Father dearest... let's see. A few years ago, I had a German one at P&J's- couldn't tell you the name to save my life. I'd love to try Inniskillan, (sp).

Out your way, you sent me 2 from NY. I still have the Wagner. Then there are the wineries around here that make desert wines in the same fashion- there's Renwood Amador Ice, I beleive Bonny Doon makes one also. I'll be darned if I can't recall the other one I've tasted.

Didn't realize I'd be quizzed, or I'd be more faithful about writing them down. I guess I'd better start up again.

Dad, now that I think about it, wasn't the Angelique from V.Sattui made the same way? That was the one we heated the glasses first. I guess maybe not. I thought they had a dessert ice wine.

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 12-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 12-05-2004).]

- dananne - 12-05-2004

Bonny Doon's Vin de Glaciere Muscat is a good one, and pretty widely available, for those who'd like to dabble.

Right now at Whole Foods in Atlanta, they have a special on Jackson-Triggs Proprietor's Reserve Vidal Icewine for $15 for a 375 ml. The price was too good to pass up, and I'll post some TNs in the next week.

I've also got some Canadians from Inskillin and Reif Estate that are sitting in the cellar waiting for an opportunity.

Would love to try a German Eiswein.

- californiagirl - 12-05-2004

dananne- I read somewhere that Whole Foods and Nugget markets are from the same chain. Is this correct? They are putting in a Nugget right down the street from my work, and with all your postings on this store... I would love to shop there!

- thewoodman - 12-05-2004

Calgirl, I don't believe that Whole Foods and Nugget are related. Far as I know, Nugget is family owned, based in Woodland. That being said, Nugget is a great market. Have a lot of gourmet stuff, cheese, seafood, bakery, and a great wine department with a wine stweard in every store, but also good prices on the everyday groceries. I even got a card int he mail for additonal 10% off everything I buy in December. May have to stock up on wine at 10% for a case and an additional 10% off. Check it out when it opens near you. You will love it.

- Georgie - 12-06-2004

Winer, don't ever be embarrassed about asking a question, especially around here! If you want to learn, you must ask questions! That what I tell my students every day.

- wondersofwine - 12-06-2004

Going back to the original question, I'm going to differ and say served it chilled (not ice cold or very cold). I think it can be overchilled to the point where the fragrance is muted (and maybe the flavors as well.) Or start out with it very cold but try to reserve a little to sample as it warms slightly and see if it gives up more nose and flavor.

- dananne - 12-07-2004

cg -- Whole Foods is a pretty great chain, but the store near my house puts their other stores in the Atlanta market to shame. It's amazing. On the other side of the coin, we refer to it as "Whole Wallet," as our monthly grocery bill doubled when the store opened. We are eating better, though! Their wine selection is pretty decent, but not great. The good thing is that I have developed a relationship with the wine buyer, and he gets things for me that are difficult to find. He managed to track down some Martinelli for me, and he's special ordered Failla and DuNah for me recently, as well. The nice thing is, because they buy in larger amounts, they can get stuff from the distributors cheaply and then pass that along with steep discounts -- sometimes $8, $10, $12 less than I'd pay elsewhere. Usually those wines go fast, however, so it's nice that he'll set aside things in the back for me.

- wondersofwine - 12-07-2004

Sounds like a good arrangement Dan.

- californiagirl - 12-07-2004

dananne- similar to a large Trader Joe's? Too bad it's not the same chain as Nugget Markets. But from what thewoodman said, that will be something to look forward to!

- dananne - 12-07-2004

Whole Foods is an organic grocery store, with an extensive selection of specialty and prepared foods, a gigantic cheese selection, great produce, and very good seafood and meats (though, being a veg, I wouldn't know about the last from personal experience). The wine selection is decent, but not as good as some area wine shops. Again, though, knowing the wine guy helps in that regard, and the deals are often excellent.

They have many stores in Cali -- I don't know the state well, but if "Sacto" is abbreviated Sacramento, then there is one there on Arden Way.

- californiagirl - 12-07-2004

It is! I'll check them out. It looks like the closest Nugget is much farther than Arden. Thanks a bunch.

- thewoodman - 12-07-2004

Dan, We refer to it as "Whole Paycheck" here.

CG, Not anything like a big Trader Joe's. While TJ has a lot of good buys, everything is top notch at Whole Foods (and you pay for it). But when you want a nice piece of grass fed beef or Sashimi quality Ahi, Whole Foods is the way to go.

- joeyz6 - 12-09-2004

I second WOW's response about the serving temperature. I would say 45-50 degrees is ideal; any colder will tighten the screws on the wine.

- dananne - 12-09-2004

Joey -- nice to see you on the board. I'll be up in Chi-town next weekend. Any restaurant recs? Are you familiar with Bin 36?