WineBoard
Wine quality - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine quality (/thread-16044.html)

- Kim & Jeff - 08-27-2001

We are newly wed and have been given two bottles of wine. We are wondering what to serve with these wines and a little about them. One is a MiddleBrook Shiraz 1995, the other is a Bardolino Folonari. Both of us are brand new to wine so no laughing.

- fourtywest - 08-27-2001

generally I tell people to drink and eat what they want. ONLY in America do we actually care about paring the two. If your party really likes sea food just serve the food they like with the wine that you have. If they are more of a wine drinker maybe you should ask them what they like to drink and just focus on that and cook what you like to cook. I've made Med. Pasta and served Cabs b/c I realy like cab. If my party doesn't like cabs then I'll give them what they like but most of the people I have parties for like the same and don't really care about paring the two unless your talking about foie gras.

- Botafogo - 08-27-2001

Fourty, you are missing a very large part of the joys of both wine and food with that approach. The most interesting wines (and foods) are but one part of a binary flavor bomb just waiting to go off in your mouth and not only jazz up your life but make you the toast of the town if you pull it off.

As a simple experiment. try some Linguini with Clams with the following and then report back to us on your preferences:

Some luke warm Coca Cola

A nicely chilled but not ice cold bottle of Verdicchio or Tocai Friulano

A Belgian Biere Blanche at cool Cellar temp

An ice cold glass of milk

Some fine vintage Porto from the most recent vintage.

I would bet the ranch on you preferring the white wine or the Biere by a landslide.....

This is where the fun actually BEGINS in this sport: it's like making up dream teams for baseball or super groups for Jazz except you can actually do it live on your palate.

Back to the original question, the Shiraz begs for BBQ or at least grilled burgers and the Bardolino is a nice, easy drinking red for pork, chicken or veal dishes (eggplant pasta if you're a veggie).

The whole concept of our store is based on NOT selling scores or even hot varietals but answering on a case by case basis "What do I serve with X when I have Y dollars?" As a result not only are we wildly successful but our clientele is 70% female and the average age is under 35. We like it like that, the fewer balding, cigar smoking Lawyers with Robert Parker under their arms the better, Roberto

- winoweenie - 08-28-2001

See you in court Boto-Slanderer. WW

- cpurvis - 08-28-2001

fourty', pairing wines may not be discussed in tiny-village-France/Spain/Italy because the local wines tend to match the local food. Here in international melting pot US pairing is especially important as we try to sort out our "fusion" cuisine & the plethora of international wines available.

Your insistence on 'anything goes' is kinda like takin' a 12 ft. aluminum boat out in the surf on a windy day when you could be on a 60 ft. pleasure yacht. If you are invigorated by beating the h#*! out of your palate, then continue your course. If you want a fine, enjoyable, refreshing experience, then try some recommended pairings.

cp

- Botafogo - 08-28-2001

Verne, you're not a lawyer and you don't smoke cigars (around me at least) and still have a pretty good head of hair. So what's yer beef?

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-28-2001).]

- Thomas - 08-28-2001

Glad you guys came to the rescue before I read fourtywest's post. I mean, that attitude will put me right outta bidnezz! I think cpurv says it best.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-28-2001).]