WineBoard
50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy (/thread-1604.html)

- robert grigsby - 05-10-2000

I have a bottle of Botrys Brandy VSOP. I have had this bottle for years and it was given to my father from a friend of the family. The bottle says " Full 50 years Old" and I have taken it to local wine experts who said it was authentic. However the company in Athenes no longer exsists. The experts said it was worth hundreds of dollars but could not purchase it without the import stickers on it. If anyone is interested please let me know. Thanks

- greenhouse3505 - 06-30-2005

Dear Robert,
I too have a bottle of 50yo BOTRYS BRANDY & am in a current situation similiar to yours. Although I realise you posted your message almost 5yrs ago, I was hoping that you may be in a position help me. Any information that you may be able to offer me concerning your quest to sell your bottle would be greatly appreciated. I too would like to sell mine.

- kaztan - 11-11-2006

I know its been over a year since this post was active but I'm in Canada and I too have a bottle of Botrys 50 yr old VSOP Brandy that was bottled in the early 60s in Athens. It has the name of the Canadian importer right on the lable. the bottle remains unopened and I also have the original box that it came in.

Have either of you found out the value???

Any info would be appreciated

------------------

- Kcwhippet - 11-11-2006

I've seen it on eBay for 7 Euros or about US$9. Botrys is a Greek brandy that's been sweetened. It's in the same league as Metaxa. All that said, not much value at all.

- mondolake1958 - 01-03-2009

I also live near Burnaby BC Canada. I bought 6 bottles of Botrys 50 Year Old VSOP Brandy on recommendation of a source inside the Government Liquor Distribution Branch in 1986 for approx $24 each. I still have 3 bottles, two of which are still in the original box. The story of the brandy was told to me as follows. The brandy, aging in kegs was hidden in the catacombs of Greece from the Nazis, and rediscovered years after the occupation. It was bottled and part of the supply imported to Canada by the Hellas Import Export Corp. of Vancouver for local sale. My gov. source told me it would be very valuable some day. This is all I was told about the product. I have drank 2 of the bottles since 1986, and is very excellent and smooth. The vintage of the brandy is 1936, given it was assumedly labeled in 1986, althoughan inscription on the label says July 1962. I will try to find out more.

RE: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - multiplayer - 04-22-2014

My friend in florida told me that he has 2 bottle of Botrys Brandy VSOP he buy last year. I think its a old wines, but near washington there so many wine similar this brand.

RE: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - winoweenie - 04-24-2014

SHEESH!!!!! A 14 year old dig-up. WW

RE: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - Kcwhippet - 04-24-2014

Multiplayer, if you could actually converse in English we might be able to believe you. Your command of the language is marginal, at best, and I don't for a minute believe you live in Washington. Also, in Washington (or "near" Washington as you put it) there is absolutely nothing similar.

RE: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - Socalwinelover - 11-16-2014

Hi, I also have a bottle of Botrys 50 year old brandy. My grandfather gave it to me about 10 years ago. He said he got it back in 1937. Does anyone know if it's worth anything or should I just drink it??

RE: 50 Year Old Botrys Brandy - winoweenie - 11-17-2014

Hi social and welcome to the board. If you read back on this post I think it's obvious that you should drink this bottle. WW