WineBoard
need help...light drinker - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: need help...light drinker (/thread-16030.html)

- redwin40 - 12-10-2003

I am new to drinking all together. Decided to add wine to diet for my health. But need suggestions because I will only have 1 to 2 glasses a day tops. Do I stay with cheap so I can throw rest away after a day? What would be a good selection for my situation? I really appreciate any help you can give.

- Innkeeper - 12-10-2003

Hi Redwin, and welcome to the Wine Board. You are entering the scene at an opportune time. Half bottles are becoming more and more available. One store in our little neck of the woods has a whole shelf full of them now. Just be careful that you are not buying a dessert wine, which is very sweet and very high in alcohol and usually come in the same size bottles. The price should be closer to $10 than $20 and read the labels carefully. You should pick up at least one of these to exercise option 2.

Option two is to have a half bottle (375ml) standing by that has been well cleaned and scalded with hot water. Open a full size bottle, fill up the half bottle clear up to the top. Drive the cork from the full bottle into the half bottle with a rubber mallet. Refrigerate the half bottle, clean up the mess, and enjoy the two glasses left in the formally full bottle.

Right now and only right now you can enjoy the '03 Nouveau Beaujolais. It is as light a red wine as you can find. Jump up to plain ole or Beajolais Villages from earlier vintages until the main line '03s come along later next year. Then try Italian Bardolinos and Valpolicellas. Then try some of the lighter pinot noirs, and slightly harder to find Cotes du Roussillon or Cotes du Provence.

- redwin40 - 12-10-2003

Thanks so much for the help. I have no one around me to get any real direction. I will definitely try the wines you suggested.

- buradayam - 12-14-2003

My first post...

I have been looking for halfbottles, or splits, but I am told that they do NOT sell thenm in FL. Thus, I would like the name(s) of a reliable mailorder for possible purchase. I did go to the Pops site but they dont list them either. Any help would be appreciated with thanks

- Kcwhippet - 12-14-2003

It's surprising they don't sell them in FL. Southern Wine is one of the country's largest distributors in the country and they're based in FL. They should certainly be able to get 375's, but maybe it's a Fl thing. Our shop has about 100 375's on display.

- sedhead - 12-14-2003

Kcwhippet and buradayam
I love those 375's. They are perfect for two at a meal or for evaluating a new wine. I've had some luck getting them in Fl at b-21[b-21.com].
IMHO I think Southern Wine and Spirits was the main force behind getting my State to prohibit out of state sales to consumers here. They have been involved with the Wine $ Spirits Wholesalers of America[wswa.org] who filed Amacus Briefs supporting the prohibition in recent Florida court chalanges to the law. See, the coalitionforfreetrade.org. and freethegrapes.org. With no real compitition they can dictate what is available in the state and a good and logical idea of 1/2 bottles goes by the boards.
Sorry for the rant but this issue really bugs me.

[This message has been edited by sedhead (edited 12-14-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-14-2003

sedhead,

WSWA is behind EVERY state's current moves to bar interstate shipping to consumers. You might have noticed that every time something goes positive for us consumers or some arm of the government says something positive about shipping to us, Juanita Duggan, backed by Craig Wolf, comes up with another lame press conference deriding such action. It's always the same arguments, too. The states are losing much needed tax revenue, minors will have easier access to alcohol, etc., etc. Notice they never mention the fact that they lose a little bit of money on every bottle not brought in be them. Sometimes her press releases are too funny for words - full of false logic, misstatements, poor grammar, misspelled words and some downright lies.

- winoweenie - 12-14-2003

All the more reason for you dissidents to join " Free the grapes " and put your voice into action. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-14-2003

Did that quite a few years ago. Hasn't helped here in MA as yet. Still hoping.