WineBoard
d'Asti obsessed - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: d'Asti obsessed (/thread-16015.html)

- newwiner - 05-01-2007

I have always enjoyed a good bottle of white wine. It's not something I have really put much thought into....until I went to a wine tasting.

I had a Moscato d'Asti (not expensive, a Stefano Farina of all!) and immediately fell in love! I, of course purchased a bottle which I promptly drank several days later. My question relates to this particular 'wine'.
I've read about the grapes and vineyards, but there seem to be as many different flavors as there are companies. Any thoughts of another wonderful kind I could pick up? I cannot find the same kind anywhere near my home, and cannot order it from out of state (live in Michigan).

And any thoughts on ice wines? I guess I tend to enjoy the sweet wines.....

Thank you!

- VouvrayHead - 05-01-2007

I think the Bricco Riella Moscato is gorgeous and around $10. It's available in Wisconsin and Illinois, so you might have luck in Michigan.

- TheEngineer - 05-01-2007

I really enjoy Moscato D'Asti as well and my favourite is without a doubt La Spinetta Moscato D'asti from either teh Vigneto Biancospino or Bricco Quaglia Vineyards. Under $18 a bottle and very very nice.

Tintero Moscato D'Asti, Garantita, Sori' Gramella is also very good for under $10.

Ice wines from Canada are a beautiful thing. Pure and decadent but they are costly at around $90 per half bottle. I would suggest that you stick around with Inniskillin, Chateau des charmes and Cave Springs if you are in the US. German eisweins are nice too but are generally even more expensive. Less expensive ones are definitely okay and can be made in Austria. I think Dr. Loose has one called Blue Slate that is not too expensive either ($30 for half bottle) but I've not tried it.

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2007

Welcome to the board.
Inniskillen Riesling Ice Wine is very attractive. I also bought a half bottle of the Inniskillen Cabernet Franc but mainly because the distributor was sold out of the Riesling. Donnhoff is well known for German Eiswein but very pricy. Occasionally I'll see a German half-bottle that I can afford but haven't picked up any lately. I think Karlsmuhle Lorenzhofer was the last German purchase. Have you tried any German Auslese wines? These are sweet and not as pricy as the Eiswein.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 05-02-2007).]

- Christophe - 05-12-2007

I'm ammased at the prices you have to pay for a bottle of Asti... 10 dollars? Wow, I can buy them at around 4.

It's good to live in Europe !

Cheers!

- TheEngineer - 05-12-2007

...yup....There may be a few under $10 but not for much more. There is a significant cost of shipping that adds to the price probably around 10% and then the taxes on the wines, plus then further markup and you arrive quickly at a $10 a bottle. For better bottles, that can rise quickly to at least double as in the case of some better known brands.