WineBoard
Sweetness scale - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sweetness scale (/thread-16014.html)

- Dapapa55 - 12-07-2006

Where would one find a list of the scale from tart(bitter) to sweet(syrup) Also what would this scale be called. Is there a list of wines that fall into these different catagories.

- Thomas - 12-07-2006

Hello,

Tart and bitter are not the same sensation. Tart attacks the sides of the tongue, bitter is something that either coats the tongue or hits it at the back.

I don't know of any chart that exists. The closest, regarding wine, to a listing that I know of for the consumer is with wines from Ontario, Canada. There they have a numbering system that ostensibly identifies the level of sugar/sweetness in wine.

Why do you need the chart? Diabetic?

- Dapapa55 - 12-08-2006

Just curosity. You go into a store and they have hundreds and hundreds of wines. Clear to very dark. Costs are from Two buck Chuck to $100.00 If one wants a sweeter wine or a dryer there is no way to tell. Boones Farm is all sweet. Mogan David is on the sweet side. Rhine seems much less sweet. Sangria is sweeter. Odd that peppers have a hotness scale but wine has a try it and throw the bottle out if you don't like it approach. I really thought that wine producers would have something except for their tasting room. I would really like to try some wines but without any clue as to what I am purchasing I'll just stick with the same old. Thanks for your help.

- Innkeeper - 12-08-2006

Welcome to the board Dapapa. The primary reason why there is not sweetness scale for wines is that the overwhelming majority of table wine in the world is dry. By dry we mean that all or most of the sugar in the juice is fermented into alcohol. In addition to table wine (wine you drink with the meal) there is dessert wine (wine you drink after the meal or with dessert. Dessert wine is always sweet.

There are table wines that can be sweet. Both Reisling and Chenin Blanc are usually off dry to some degree unless the word "Dry" is on the label. Lambrusco is a sweet red table wine.

- wdonovan - 12-08-2006

Sounds like you don't like dry wine, right? Instead of "try it and throw the bottle away" why not ask someone in the store to guide you to wine that you would like? No rocket science here.

- Cork Dork - 12-08-2006

You could also go to a wine bar in your area (I think you are close to Chicago right?...Lot's of wine places there)and just buy tastes of several wines to find some you like and could then buy...Some wine bars etc. will let you taste and not charge for every taste...also, keep your eye out for wine tasteings in bottle shops and restaurants...usually a small charge, but worth it if you find something to add to your list...Remember, part of the fun is the hunt!!!...CD

- Thomas - 12-08-2006

Dapapa55,

Go here and read what is said about dry-sweet, etc.

www.vinofictions.com

- Dapapa55 - 12-09-2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely be on the lookout for some local tastings. And, yes I lean toward the 'desert wines', now that I know what the sweeter wines are called. Thanks again to all of you for your kindness

Duane