WineBoard
Is Beaujolais (and Gamay) Burgundy? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Is Beaujolais (and Gamay) Burgundy? (/thread-16012.html)

- quijote - 05-22-2003

From what I've been reading, it seems that people may legitimately be referring to Beaujolais (and the Gamay grape) when they speak of Burgundy. However, at a wine tasting seminar a few days ago, the organizers proclaimed that Pinor Noir is the only red grape grown and used in Burgundy. I didn't want to ask this at the seminar and embarass myself or come off as pretentious. (I had already been asking quite a few pointed questions.)

So, is Beaujolais considered Burgundy? Or is it an enclave located within the confines of Burgundy (sort of like the Vatican embedded within Italy)? Or something else?

- Bucko - 05-22-2003

Burgundy is located in eastern France, southeast of Paris. Bourgogne, as it's called in France, consists of five basic regions: Chablis in the north, the Côte d'Or, the Côte Chalonnaise, the Macônnais, and Beaujolais.

The wines vary from region to region throughout Burgundy, but the primary players are Pinot Noir, Gamay, and Chardonnay. Other varieties are grown such as the White Aligoté, Pinot Blanc, and Sauvignon Blanc.

Someone at the tasting has not done their homework.....

- quijote - 05-22-2003

Y'know, Bucko, this is pretty much what I figured! Also, while driving home just now, it occurred to me that Meunier also might be an important red grape of Burgundy, but I'm not sure 'bout that....

I'm not sure what to make of this. I've talked with the two guys one-on-one before, and they seem really knowledgeable; both have worked in the wine trade for quite some time.

Could it be that they said what they said in order not to "confuse" us novices with too much info? I did feel that the event was kind of "dumbed down," and one of the reasons I asked so many questions was because no one else was, and this was a tasting (and we paid for it, darnit)!

Hmm. Isn't there an emoticon with a perplexed look and a slight smirk? That's how I'm feeling about this....

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 05-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 05-22-2003).]

- Bucko - 05-23-2003

Hard to say. It could have been two scenarios, 1) they didn't know their stuff, or 2) they assumed the audience was idiots or needed to be pablum fed like WW and Foodie. Either way it seems wrong to me.

- Thomas - 05-23-2003

No excuse for someone charging you for information and then giving you either incomplete or purposely wrong facts.

Incidentally, Meunier used to be important in the Champagne blend, but I understand it is losing ground--literally.

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img] Gotta go to take my Pablum at the American Medical Association meeting of mush-heads...

- winoweenie - 05-23-2003

Have you tried the new crushed carrots from Gerber Foodster? Yummskie! WW

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2003

Der Buckster forgot der Valdiguie which is right in title of our Beaujolais thread.

- ShortWiner - 05-23-2003

But, isn't true that when people say something like, "that would go well with a Burgandy" or "I had a great Burgandy today" they generally are talking about Pinot Noir? It is the grape most commonly identified with the region, though of course not the only one.

edit: in fact, we also have a forum called "Pinot Noir/Red Burgandy"

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 05-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 05-23-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 05-23-2003

You're right. Normally when folks talk about Red Burgundy they mean pinot. Beaujolais is spoken of as something else. However, technically, Beaujolais is the southernmost part of the region know as Burgundy.

- Thomas - 05-23-2003

It depends on which folks are talking about Burgundy. In my experience, most wine consumers have little information about the grape varieties that go into making wine. Many don't even know that the wines they call Chardonnay and Merlot, et al, are actually grape names.

- thewoodman - 05-23-2003

Oh, now I think I get it. If the lighter bodied beaujolais comes from the south, then Hearty Burgundy must be from the north...

- Thomas - 05-23-2003

You gots it!

- Bucko - 05-23-2003

Hearty Burgundy does come from the north, north Modesto........

- quijote - 05-23-2003

Out of curiosity, is the red "Burgundy" jug wine from California (Modesto!) made from Pinot Noir? Or can anything red and Burgundy "style" be called "Burgundy" when from California?

Is California jug "Chardonnay" really made from Chardonnay?

Any books or websites to recommend on learning more about the California jug wine phenomenon?

- Kcwhippet - 05-24-2003

Nothing made in California with the name Burgundy has any Pinot Noir in it. Nothing made in California (or Oregon) with Pinot Noir is called Burgundy. But ---- there sure are a lot of "champagnes" made in California.

- Thomas - 05-24-2003

quijote, the American wine industry is the last hold-out that uses famous place names to identify wines that have no resemblance to the wines of the famous place names. But the practice is vanishing--slowly.

- quijote - 05-24-2003

California red "Burgundy" jug-glug doesn't have Pinot Noir in it?? Yikes! That sounds kind of scandalous to me! Just what kind of grapes are used, then?

- Innkeeper - 05-24-2003

Field grapes including just about everything else but.