WineBoard
Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer (/thread-15993.html)

- Dogwalker - 04-26-2000

My thanks to "Hotwine" for the suggestion on the Schmitt-Sohne Riesling from the Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer. I bought a bottle because of your suggestion and also reading a review of it in one of the mags.
The wine store had basically had 3 vintages '96 @ $13, "97 @ $11 and "98 @ $5.99. My first thought was to get an older year, higher price - better wine. But on hotwine's posting I got the '98.
I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Nice crisp taste with a good finish. Although the label leads you to look for a "peach" taste, I was pleased at a slight "lemony" flavor. At this price I am sure to get a few more bottles to enjoy.
On another note last nights wine tasting class was Australian wines. We had Lindeman's Chardonnay 99, Coldstream Hills Chardonnay 96, Peter Lehmann Semillion 98, Wyndham Semillion/Chardonnay 97(I bought this one),Seaview Shiraz 97, Wynns Shiraz 97, d'Arenberg Grenache 96 and Ch Reynella Port.
I was pleased by the (red) Grenache "The Custodian" because it was so differant from the white Grenache that I dumped down the sink after one glass. The Port was WOW - STRONG!, 20% alcohol, never had it before.
Again thanks for the tip on the Schmitt-Sohne.
Regards, Chuck

- hotwine - 04-26-2000

Nice feedback, Chuck. Thanks! We served that wine with grilled chicken & veggies last night to houseguests, and they were equally surprised, and took off today to buy a case or two to take home. You're right about the presence of lemon flavors versus peach. I don't know where the peach idea came from...maybe some marketing idea.
Glad you enjoyed it. It's amazing how sometimes the least expensive wines can offer the biggest surprises! (Although I admit to confining my experiments in that regard to European wines. With CA wine, you really get what you pay for.)
Gil

- hotwine - 04-27-2000

Although we have talked about the slight lemon tinge to that wine, it most reminds me of Washington apples - big and a bit tart until the full flavor sinks in. Bucko being a Washington guy would probably enjoy it.
Chuck, you didn't say if you enjoyed it with food or not; I don't like it as a quaffing wine, that one would just sit down and enjoy while reading the evening paper (which I frequently do with a Beaujolais). It really needs to accompany fish or fowl. But it really serves well for that purpose.
Again, thanks for your feedback.

- Dogwalker - 05-03-2000

Hotwine, sorry for the delay in an answer to you. I have been having problems with my computer lately and have been trying to solve it. Well Bill Gates pulled the plug on me the other day, ALL of the icons on the desktop disappeared! After several hours I gave up and reloaded the software package. In the process I lost all of my contacts and addresses.
In answer to your question, I did enjoy it both with and without food. I did have it with some breaded fish for dinner one night. The fish caused the wine to aquire a slightly sharper taste. The one thing that did surprise me was that the wine with food took on a "grapefruit" tinge, interesting!
That bottle has been finished and I have moved on to A Beaujolais (name aludes me).
Again sorry for the delay,
Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dogwalker (edited 05-03-2000).]

- winecollector - 05-07-2000

Tried the 98' Schmidtt-Sohne Riesling from Mosel-Sahl-Ruwer last night during a fish fry, and was not disappointed! Everyone enjoyed it! I should have had an extra bottle with me though- we ran out of it too early in the evening.

Thanks guys!