WineBoard
white dessert wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: white dessert wine (/thread-15984.html)

- Christinearific - 01-22-2004

Someone suggested to me that I try something called "Ice Wine" by body doub? can anyone tell me anything about this wine?

- Kcwhippet - 01-22-2004

Well, first off the winery is Bonny Doon. They make a dessert wine called Vin de Glaciere. It's made from Muscat grapes that are frozen then pressed to get a concentrated juice without much water. The juice is then fermented and left with some residual sugar to give you a nice sweet dessert wine with enough acid to help balance the sugar. It usually costs about $15 to $17 for a half bottle and you should be able to find it just about anywhere. Even with all the wonderful and more expensive dessert wines out there, it's always been a favorite of mine.

- marleyspud - 01-22-2004

Bonny Doon also makes a Sweet 'raspberry' wine by the name of Framboise. It is a light red, and comes in a half bottle also. I just purchased it for $11. Very good. MS

- tandkvd - 01-22-2004

KC, I recieved a bottle of the Bonny Doon Vin de Glaciere for Christmas. What desert would you suggest having it with.

- Kcwhippet - 01-22-2004

Sopmething simple like a piece of plain pound cake or a dish of natural vanilla bean ice cream or all by itself.

- Innkeeper - 01-22-2004

Or a half of a very ripe pear in a piece of spongecake with cherries on it, dribbled with a little bit of maple syrup.

- tandkvd - 01-23-2004

Man! Now I'm going to be thinking of cake and ice cream all day.

Both Sound great!

I knew Patriot's fans couldn't be all bad.

- wondersofwine - 01-23-2004

I too like the Bonny Doon Vin de Glaciere but haven't found it locally. It's probably in some of the Raleigh-area wine stores that I don't frequent. I've only had it at a restaurant.

- tandkvd - 01-23-2004

WOW, they have it at World Market around here.

- tandkvd - 01-25-2004

My wife made a chocolate pound cake today. I poured some canned cherries over it. I had it with the Vin de Glaciere. Wow what a treat!

- Georgie - 01-26-2004

Sigh..I remember cake...and wine and Port...three weeks on Weight Watchers....

- wineguruchgo - 01-27-2004

Wondersofwine,

If you have a store near you that carries Bonny Doon I'm sure they will bring in a few bottles for you. Most retailers will honor special requests knowing that it is a quick sale that won't take up shelf space.

- Innkeeper - 01-27-2004

Not necessarily Guru. Don't know the NC laws, but in Maine the distributor pays a tax on each bottle he or she brings into the state. Therefore, it is common to bring in some items from a line like Bonny Doon, but not all items. Therefore, if you want something that the distributor does not import, going to the retailer does you no good at all.

- wondersofwine - 01-28-2004

Will check it out later.