WineBoard
Help! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Help! (/thread-15983.html)

- jmpena - 10-11-2005

I really want to start getting into wine now that i'm older but i just don't know what wine i should be starting off with. Does anybody have any ideas on what is a good start off wine.

- tw - 10-11-2005

Its all based on what you enjoy drinking. Are you looking for white wines red wines? Sweet, dry, cheap, expensive. Answer some of those questions and you may get a better response. Some wines that may be good starters would be a german reisling, they are usually pretty sweet and easy drinking. Also for reds might try a pinot noir or beaujolais. There are so many choices its hard to point you in one direction. I would suggest maybe going to your local wine specialty store and ask the clerk there for some recommendations and let him know the flavors etc you are looking for. Good luck in your journey it will be fun and exciting I'm sure.

Chris

- jmpena - 10-11-2005

I am a college student who is limited in funds but i also don't want something that is too cheap. Can you give me any suggestions that might go with Ramen Noodles. j/k. A sweet red wine is more what i am looking for. Do you have any suggestions that are not too harsh on the taste. Appreciate your input.

- dananne - 10-11-2005

Two reds to try (neither will break your bank, and should be available under $10) are Lambrusco and Beaujolais. The Lambrusco is an Italian red that is sometimes a bit frothy and slightly sweet, while the Beaujolais is a French red that isn't really "sweet," but rather is "fruity," which is often confused with sweet by beginning wine drinkers. Try each, see what you like/don't like, and let us know. We'll be able to point you in other directions.

Welcome to the board!

- robr - 10-11-2005

Most of the Chianti (Italian) reds are fruity, but not overly sweet. It's an aquired taste, but you are a college student, so you can learn.

Just remember this, open the bottle, pour the slightly cooled wine into a glass, and let it sit for 15 minutes before you taste it. Then sip it. It probably won't taste very good to you at first. Sip it again in about five minutes. Don't chug it (yet). Keep sipping it every few minutes. Take an hour to drink one glass. After a while, you will notice it starts to taste REALLY good. At that point, go ahead and chug. Repeat.

Don't do this with an entire bottle, stop at half, or you will get incredibly drunk.

- jmpena - 10-12-2005

So last night i took dananne's suggestion and i went ahead and bought the Beaujolais fruity wine. It was a good recommendation for me to start off with, but my next question is will the wine taste the same with foods or will food enhance the taste. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

- robr - 10-12-2005

Usually it will make it taste better, depending on what you are eating. For some reason most Italian tomatoe and meat and cheese based foods are a good pairing with reds. Also good are grilled meats, both beef and chicken and lamb, as well as cheeses. The fats in meat and cheese really enhance and alter the flavor of the wine. Avoid vinegary sauces or dressings with wine. It makes the wine taste vinegary too.

Have fun! Eat, Drink, Be Merry!

- dananne - 10-12-2005

Wines generally taste differently with foods, sometimes better, sometimes worse depending upon the pairing. For example, many sweet foods will make some wines taste too lean and acidic. Also, some wines sometimes NEED food to show their best, such as tannic red wines being softened by rare or medium-rare red meat. Some of these pairing rules, like "white wine with fish," are made to be broken at times, while others, like "avoid tannic wine for salty dishes," are generally sound. If you'd like some specific pairing advice, the Wine and Food thread below is a fine place to visit. For the Beaujolais you tried, it's a pretty versatile wine that will go with many different foods. I like it lightly chilled in the summer with picnic fare, and it goes very well with many vegetarian dishes (which is good news for me, as I'm a veg). From what I hear, it also goes very well with simply prepared pork, as well as ham and sausages.

Glad to hear the Beaujolais seemed to be a good place to start.