WineBoard
Good Read - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Good Read (/thread-15943.html)

- Innkeeper - 08-18-2000

Be ye a novice or a seasoned "wine guy", don't miss the special edition of Wines & Spirits, now on the stands. Don't normally go gah gah over magazines, but the W&S folks have outdone themselves this time. It is entitled: "Guide To Understanding Wine (Wine Style; Which Wines Are Right For You)" It covers the whole world of wine from the point of view of style, versus region or type. It gives guidance of choosing wines for weddings, romantic dinners, business gifts, and parties.

New senior editor Ray Isle organized the whole thing and wrote the narrative that ties the whole 104 pages together. His prose is engaging. He also interviews and gets contributions from some folks you may know; including Andrea Immer, Joshua Wesson, John Thatcher, Vanessa Wong, Michael Doodan, Randall Graham, Michel Chapoutier, and others.

As you travel along with these folks you examine the world of white wines by style, then red, then chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, wine & seafood, vintage port, riesling, syrah, Tuscan food & wine, and sparklers. If your favorites are merlot, pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, or others; they are covered in the general areas. The concept of looking at wine by style was popularized by Wesson in his now expanding Best Cellars wine stores. This entire issue is organized as Wesson would his store. For $4.95 I honestly don't know where you could get more wine knowledge for the buck.

- mrdutton - 08-18-2000

If I run across the magizine anytime soon in my travels, I just may take you up on your suggestion.

Thanks for the information.

- winecollector - 08-18-2000

I'll check it out as well. Thanks a bunch!

- hotwine - 08-18-2000

Same here. Thanks, IK.

- winoweenie - 08-19-2000

IK, I`ll buy that sucker today IF`N you let me skip the white wine section. winoweenie

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-19-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 08-21-2000

In response to some your e-mails, got a nice message from W&S this morning. The edition is on the newstands now. It is not posted on their site yet (www.wineandspiritsmagazine.com), because they are having technical problems with it. Seems a few of the wine connected sites have been having problems lately; Garnet Wines just had to redo theirs. Many thanks to Jackie for keeping ours running along with minimal hickups. Guess the Internet is not as seamless as advertised.

WW, you can skip large sections of the SW chapters, but don't skip the whole of each chapter or you'll lose the thread that runs through the whole edition, as well as some very interesting sidebars. For example, in the Chardonnay chapter there is a great discussion with Thatcher & Wong on the subject of estate versus vineyard bottlings.

- winoweenie - 08-21-2000

Gotcha IK, My favorite wine shoppee have done committed to ringing me when this baby do arrive. I`ll call Jock today and alert him too. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2000

Found a copy for a friend at the Borders box in Bangor today. If it's there it's everywhere!

- chittychattykathy - 09-28-2000

I was really looking forward to reading this magazine, but after doing so am soooooooo disappointed by parts of it. Ray's little story line is so male orientated that It felt like I was reading GQ or some other "for men" magazine. Oh, sexism, it's just part of the wine culture, why fight it? This is how the Editors note comes off to me. Well, not in my "wine culture" is all I have to say!!! I do not run in to much, if any, sexist problems within my line of work or when dining out, nor is it some kind of issue with me, but this mag was a bit of the in your the face assault. I'd like to hear from women that have read this issue. Also, there are six major storyline and photo mistakes that I've noticed SO FAR while reading through it at a fairly fast pace this evening. Where were the editors then? Out buying Chardonnay for their little ladies? Ok, enough sarcasm, I feel better now. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] In defense of the actual important parts of this issue: the interviews with winemakers and the explanation of styles. Both are fantastic, well done, and interesting. Kathy

[This message has been edited by chittychattykathy (edited 09-27-2000).]

- hotwine - 09-28-2000

YEOW! CCK cuts with a mighty sharp knife! Check for missing body parts.....

- winoweenie - 09-28-2000

Hotwiner , CCK makes her pernt wif` a scapel not a knife. Haven`t picked up my copy yet but will post after having my grand-daughter decipher the nuances for me. winoweenie

- chittychattykathy - 09-28-2000

Thank you winoweenie. I am really a very kind and gentle young lady, who also happens to yield the most delicate of blades. What can I say, it's a gift. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- mrdutton - 09-28-2000

Overseas in certain places along the Pacific Rim, they call those knives "Butterfly Knives". And trust me, the ladies know how to use them!