WineBoard
No clue.....please help! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: No clue.....please help! (/thread-15930.html)

- pinkpanther97 - 01-31-2004

Hello All,
Ok I am new to this whole wine thing. The only wine that I have ever had is at mass, which often times is REALLY to strong for my taste. I am looking for some insight all together, but more specifically for a nice romantic evening. We both like sweet stuff, like strawberry-banana wine coolers, is you know what those taste like, just to give you an idea of the sweetness level. So far this is what I have picked-up from other message boards. Riesling and American Gewurtztraminer are a good sweet and not syrupy wine. Italian Prosecco is good with choc. and strawberries, and a good bottle can be bought for about $12. Then Martini & Rossi Asti Spumanti is good also. I am looking for a wine to go with dinner, and a wine to just sip while walking on the beach at night. If weather has anything to due with it,please let me know, this is for our first vacation together this summer in mid-June. Any help is welcomed and much thanks!

- wineguruchgo - 01-31-2004

Hello Pink!

Welcome to the wineboard.

I definately would start with Riesling or Gewurtztraminer. The wines from Germany are not that expensive.

Another wine you might like is Sauvignon Blanc. Although this wine finishes dry (I would use it with food) it tastes like fresh mangos and melon.

When trying a new wine please remember that the first sip doesn't count. If your tastebuds aren't ready for it then it will be a shock. After a few sips your mouth will be less shocked and you will enjoy it more.

I'm sure the others will have advice for you as well.

- Innkeeper - 01-31-2004

Hi Pink, and welcome to the Wine Board. It looks like you did some research before making your first post which is wonderful. The riesling and gewurtztraminer are both fine dinner wines particulaly with sweet or sweet and sour entrees, including much Asian cuisine. The Proscecco and the sweeter Asti Spumanti can be used as aperitifs, with entrees as above, and for dessert.

Our favorite beach wines are crisp, fruity, yet dry roses'. Not talking about blush wines (White Zinfanfel, et al) here. Cotes du Provence Rose, Tavel Rose, and Rose d'Anjou, Sancerre Rose, and others from the South of France and the Loire Valley are delightful chilled. California produces many wines in this category but you have to look carefully for them. Terre Rouge Vin Gris d' Amador at $12 is to die for. There is also a large handful of smaller California producers who turn out respectable Grenache Rose's, including McDowell Valley Vineyards.

- pinkpanther97 - 02-01-2004

Is there an online guide that tells what wine is suggested with what food? My friend sent me a link to one which was not all that helpful. Are the wines previously mentioned good with steak and italian food also?

- wineguruchgo - 02-02-2004

If you do a google search using the words "wine and food pairing" then put in the dish you are making you will probably find the answer you are looking for.

I did a quick search for steak and found a basic list of wines and food.

http://www.wineanswers.com/WineAndFood.asp

- Innkeeper - 02-02-2004

Although wineanswers.com is excellent, our own Wine/Food Affinites thread is also great if you use our seach function with it. Your wines are not the best for steak or Italian food. The lightest red I ever use for steak is Beaujolais Villages. Light Italian reds include Bardolino and Valpolicella. For white wines you can use your Prosecco and Asti Spumanti in some cases. For still white wines with Italian food look for Pinot Grigio (not the ones under $10), Vermentino, and Verdicchio. All are widely available.

- pinkpanther97 - 02-02-2004

What is the difference between red and white wine?

What wines do you chill or do not chill? Or is this a personal preference?

- Innkeeper - 02-02-2004

Red wine is left in contact with its skin for various periods, while white wine rarely has this contact. This results in red wine containing tannin and other ingredients, some of which are benificial to health. Red wine should be served at 60 to 65 degrees F. White wine and rose' wine should be served around 55 degrees F. Sparkling and dessert wines should be served even cooler.

- hades_ibex - 02-02-2004

Hi there.
Red wine comes from dark grapes, and there is a prolonged exposure of the grape juice to the pulp and skins. This picks up tannin (the substance that gives bitterness to the red wine). White wines usually come from light color grapes, and there is little contact between the juice and the skins. (White wine can also come from dark grapes since the juice will be clear.)

Chill your white wines. Put your reds in the fridge for 15 mins before serving.

- Cabernetxprt - 02-02-2004

I too like your original post...it show you did some work and research. One area of the wine world you very well might enjoy starting your journey in the wine world is in white wines from the North West. Chateau Ste Michelle is a large producer of Washington State wines. CSM produces several rieslings, a top end called Eroica and several lesser wines.

Oregon has Pinot Gris......a light bodied, usually dry counterpart to the Italian Style of Pinot Grigio which is popular across America as well. King Estate.....Erath are just a few names of Oregon producers.

Over some time taste these wines and see which ones YOU like. That is your starting place.......each of us always has a starting place whether we have consumed wine for 30 years or 30 minutes.

MW