WineBoard
About Time - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: About Time (/thread-159.html)

- Innkeeper - 08-11-2000

This has been a very slow growing season as we have discussed previously. At long last, our local farmer's market is fully stocked. The slow maturing stuff is fantastic. The beans are all in. Green, French, Wax, Italian, et. al. Never had such intense flavor.

Tonight we had green beans, pressure cooked three minutes, tossed with almonds browned in butter. With them we had broiled fillet mignon that had been marinated in red wine all day, patted dry, wrapped with pre-nuked bacon rasher, rubbed with olived oil and sprinkled with Morton Rub. Also had the first corn of the season with it. Oh, yes, we washed it down with Trapiche, Malbec, Oak Cask, 1995. We're in heaven.

- hotwine - 08-11-2000

Wow! Wonderful indeed, IK!
Gil

- Bucko - 08-11-2000

So why didn't you open some *wine* to go with dinner........ }:>

We cook green beans the same way, except we use a steamer. Tonight we are having twice cooked pork, garlic mashed potatoes (yukon gold), and german cabbage, served with 1991 Dehlinger Pinot Noir (CA) and 1996 Hammacher Pinot Noir (OR). This will be followed with fresh peach cobbler, served with Husch Late Harvest Gewurztraminer (CA). Life is hell......

BTW, IK, don't give up on me. Your Pinot Gris will be forthcoming as soon as the heat wave calms down. I did get to drink some Chardonnels at the Indy judging, my favorite being from IL. Not bad!

Buckmeister

- hotwine - 08-11-2000

You guys have got me drooling into the keyboard! And we'll miss our Saturday "gourmet night" this weekend; we need to be at the ranch to get some work done there. But I'll take along some Clicquot Yellow Label, just in case we think of something we want to celebrate.

- Thomas - 08-12-2000

Heatwave! Did Bucko say heatwave? Send some of that to the East.

Both menus from Bucko and IK are now in my file, and oh, how I wish we had a growing season in the Finger Lakes. I have lost just about all my vegetable plants to torrents (4.2 inches of rain in one night last week). The garlic I picked a few weeks ago had some serious moisture problems, and the cannelini and black beans: fahgetaboudit!

I suppose this year I shall find myriad ways to prepare fried green tomatoes.

- winoweenie - 08-12-2000

IK and Buckster, You guyus love to put the needle in the sweet ole` WW. I went off my sabattical last nite and arose this morn wif-out a clue. I really don`t reccomend drinking THREE bottles by ones-self at a single setting.By-the-by, any of youse`-uns with the Ferrari-Carano 94 cab leave them suckers alone. This bottle is going to be a killer, (maybe even as good as the Tresor), when it levels out.The 2nd bottle was a Dehlinger 94 Goldridge "Old Vines" and have to look to see what the blazes the 3rd was. Wish I felt better so I could appreciate the marvelous meals you guys fixed. I`ll come back to this post later today. winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 08-12-2000

Just in case some of you missed it before; here it is again, straight from Chi-town:

MORTON'S STEAK RUB:

3 tbl Kosher (or sea) salt
3 tbl Paprika
2 tbl Black pepper
1 tbl Granulated garlic (powder)
1 tbl Granulated onion (powder)
1/2 tbl Ground thyme

Whisk together. Dry store in opaque jar. Tbl's can be reduced to tsp's for a test try.

- winoweenie - 08-13-2000

IK , thanks for the rub receipe. I had it but don`t know the safe place I put it so it wouldn`t get lost. Didn`t get back to the board yesserday. Feel much better today. Bucko, how did you find the 91 Dehlinger? I always start drinking his pinots at the 5th year. winoweenie

- Bucko - 08-13-2000

The 91 was his Estate -- still holding well and developing those barnyardy flavors.

Bucko