WineBoard
I hate to wait! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I hate to wait! (/thread-15890.html)

- hhhanson - 12-02-2002

I've been infatuated with wine now for a year and a half. One big frustration is reading about supposed great wines, buying some, then having to wait who knows how long before they reach maturity. The problem is spending $70 or so for something that I'm not sure I'll like as well as "the people that know" (magazines). I'd consider purchasing more of these but I don't want to end up with a bunch of $70 bottles of wine I think are just OK. The 3 examples I have in my basement are:
97 Brunello
98 Quilceda Creek Cab
99 Leonetti Cab
So the real question is. What characteristics of a good wine change while aging? If I drink a young wine, will the potential greatness be evident, just with a lot of tannins?

Thanks,
Harry

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2002

Hi Harry, and welcome to the Wine Board. I would drink the Brunello in 2012, the Quilceda Creek in 2008, and Leonetti in 2009. You can drink them any time you want if you don't want them at full potential. In the meantime, there is plenty of good stuff available that you can drink right away. I've been enjoying a 2000 Cab from Oz. Check it out under the Australian thread.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 12-02-2002).]

- winoweenie - 12-02-2002

Hi hhhansen and welcome. The 2 major changes that great wines make in their evolution is in the aroma and the texture. Great wines that are aged will fill a room with its' perfume and assail the senses with tons of heady aromatics. As the tannins subside the mouthfeel becomes surreal. The liquid has this silky texture and the center palate and finish become long and extremely pleasurable. The degree of each of these depends on the quality of the product. WW

- hhhanson - 12-03-2002

So it sounds as though patience is something I'm going to need to learn, and to not to pass on oportunities to pick up gems even though they're a number of years off. That Brunello really should wait until 2012? Wow, I didn't think Sangiovese was such a long term grape. Anyway, thanks!

- Innkeeper - 12-03-2002

Brunello is not your run of the mill sangiovese. It is a special clone, grown in a special place, that produces rich, slow, and long developing wine. You can get a sneak preview, if you will, buy picking up a Rosso di Montalcino. They are often produced by the same producers who make Burnello. They run about a third to half the price, and can be enjoyed shortly after release.

- hhhanson - 12-03-2002

Thanks Innkeeper for the tip. I'll check out a Rosso this week. I have seen those but had no idea what they were. That's one of the frustrations of buying Old World wines....but that's a different post.

- hhhanson - 12-03-2002

Thanks Innkeeper for the tip. I'll check out a Rosso this week. I have seen those but had no idea what they were. That's one of the frustrations of buying Old World wines....but that's a different post.

- Innkeeper - 12-03-2002

You probably don't want to hear this at this point, but be sure you get a Rosso di Montalcino and not a Rosso di Montepulciano.

- hhhanson - 12-03-2002

Got it, same as in "Brunello di Montalcino".

- Bucko - 12-03-2002

Keep the Quilceda Creek for a minimum of ten years from vintage. Trade the Leonetti for something good, unless you are an oak fan.

- hhhanson - 12-04-2002

Interesting Bucko, You're first I've heard that didn't have something good to say about Leonetti wines (not that I've talked to everyone on earth). Have you had the Merlots? Are they as Oaky? I once read someones opinion that Leonetti Merlots were the best on the planet.

- Kcwhippet - 12-04-2002

Bucko's not a big fan of hardwood flooring in his wine.

- Bucko - 12-04-2002

Talking bad about Leonetti in WA is a hanging offense I think. I have had virtually every wine that they have made, in various retrospective tastings. They are well made wines that are *far* too oaky for my taste. That said, there are those who die to get on the mailing list. To each their own.