WineBoard
creating wine menu - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: creating wine menu (/thread-15841.html)

- CatherinePark - 08-26-2003

I have recently taken over management of an already established restaurant with an appauling wine list which I am in the process of up-dating. Could anyone give me ideas to match (very) fresh fish, lobster, seabass etc.. with a good wine. Am I in the right direction with unoaked chardonnays of Cloudy Bay similarity?

- Innkeeper - 08-26-2003

Hi Catherine, and welcome to the Wine Board. That would be an excellent choice. Over the weekend I fell in love with a Savennieres from Chateau d'Epire. It is a bone dry and intense wine from the Loire Valley made from chenin blanc. I guarantee it would go with all those menu choices. Just be sure that any Savennieres you look at have those two characteristics (dryness and intensity).

If you have experiance with wine menu engineering and just need that specific advice; fine. If you need more help on the subject, feel free to come back to us.

- CatherinePark - 08-26-2003

I wouldn't say "experience" as such, but I have worked with wines for the last few years. Although this is my first solo management venture. Thank you for the welcome and recommendation. Very much appreciated.

- Thomas - 08-27-2003

Traditional Muscadet is born for shell fish. Plus, hundreds of Sauvignon Blancs on the market would be in my thoughts if I were in your situation.

- stevebody - 09-02-2003

Gotta throw in a vote for the wonderful Italian grape Greco. It's complex and expansive on the palate but carries some nice limestone/flinty notes that work wonderfully with fish. Good examples are from Feudi di San Gregorio, their Greco di Tufo, which has made the Wine Spectator Top 100 a couple of times lately. A lovely budget alternative is "Gravina" by Botromagno, a blend of Greco and Malvasia Bianca that wholesales for around $6. It's dry and peppery and beautifully balanced. There is also a relatively obscure Albana di Romagna from a winery called Celli that is the very essence of dry/flinty/seafood wine. It's a killer complement to most fish, especially shellfish.

On the home front, several Oregon wineries make lovely, dry Pinot Gris that avoids the overblown profile that makes the American Pinot Grigios so frustrating. Good examples are Owen Roe, Slivan Ridge, and especially Sine Anne's glorious bottling, along with their second label, Elvenglade.

There is also a lovely, little-made French grape that's produced some in Washington that might be good for your menu. The grape is called Madelaine Angevine and prominent examples here are from Bainbridge Island Winery and Mt Baker Vineyards. It's fragrant, exotic, and fun, especially when fermented dry.

Finally, check out Chappelet's Dry Chenin Blanc. Just gorgeous wine that pairs well with a TON of different, lighter foods.

- Kcwhippet - 09-03-2003

SB,
I very often enjoy reading the descriptions of many of the wines you report on here. However, when you speak of home front to Catherine, you're speaking of Cornwall, Great Britain, not Kirkland, WA. How serious do you think her chances are of finding wines from Owen Roe, Bainbridge Island Winery, et al. where she lives?

- stevebody - 09-04-2003

Well, see KC...that's what happens when you DON'T READ THE ADDRESS LINE OF THE PERSON WHO STARTED THE THREAD! ARRRGGGH!

My humble apologies. Of course you'll never find our WA wines there. However, Madelaine is a French grape and I'm sure you'll probably find it even more readily than I can.

Boy, is my face red...