WineBoard
Wine and Food pairing - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine and Food pairing (/thread-158.html)

- Dr. Malloy - 10-31-2006

First of all let me say hello to all on here as I am a new user to these boards. I came on here looking for some help. I am planning a party for this weekend that will contain five courses and wanted some advice on what wines to pair the food with. I have listed the menu and the wines I am thinkg of matching the food with.

First course: Grilled Shrimp with a chili spice and mango salsa. I am thinking a German Riesling (I like Rudolf Muller) or an Australian Chardonnay.

Second Course: Marinated Oriental Duck breast with sticky rice and oriental slaw.
I like a Pinot Noir here or a Merlot with it's cherry and berry flavors that would bring out the flavor of the duck breast BUT what about the Oriental marinade with the soy, ginger, garlic, cilantro, lemon, and sesame in it? What do you folks think?

Third Course: Roasted Red beet salad with house vinaigrette, baby greens and applewood smoke. I thought of a Lagrein or another Pinot Noir (I don't really want to do two of the same varietals but I had a wonderful Tierra del Fuego Pinot Noir that had some smokey nuances that would have worked wonderful with the beets but alas! I have it no more)

Entree: Rack of Smoked Pork Prime Rib with Squash puree, Fall veggies and Natural Sauce. I like a Shiraz from South Africa (Hugo Hill) but I have had a Zinfandel with smoked Pork that worked great!

Dessert: Flourless Chocolate Tort with Espresso ice cream. I'm thinking a Port. Any other suggestions?

Any and all suggestions are more then welcome.
Thanks for all the help
I'll hang up now and listen

------------------
Live Long, Eat Well, Drink Better

- wondersofwine - 10-31-2006

Welcome to the board. Hope to hear from you often.

I'll take a stab at it and maybe IK or others will offer their opinions. The Riesling might be overpowered by the chili and salsa. Maybe a powerful Chardonnay or an inexpensive sparkling wine such as a Spanish cava.

The duck breast dish. I know a little cilanro can kill a delicate white wine and maybe a light-bodied Pinot Noir as well. I might choose a full-bodied Pinot Noir such as one from Brian Loring or Siduri. Or perhaps a Cote du Rhone or other Syrah would be better here.

For the beety dish, an earthy red Burgundy might be a good pairing--maybe a Gevrey-Chambertin or Nuits-St-Georges or maybe stick with a Cote du Rhone or Syrah from the previous course.

I like the idea of Zinfandel with the smoked pig. A Ravenswood or Rosenblum might be the ticket.

Port is usually a good "closer" with chocolate but consider also Banyuls or a sparkling Brachetto d'Acqui. I have become particularly fond of the Banyuls pairing.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-31-2006).]