WineBoard
Question about the lights - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Welcome (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-1.html)
+--- Thread: Question about the lights (/thread-15585.html)

- dananne - 06-17-2004

Recently, I've fought with my ISP about several issues, and the end result is that due to the infinite wisdom of my tech support, I managed to remove all web software from my computer and lose my profile. I'm back up, but using a different web browser -- Internet Explorer. However, now all the lightbulbs are on each time I visit the site, so I have a difficult time finding all the posts since my last visit. I'm thinking it has to do with cookies, but I don't know what to do to fix it. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

- Thomas - 06-17-2004

Dan,

I have had erratic lights problems ever since the board was switched to a new host afew months ago. Have posted on it a few times, but nothing has happened to change the problem.

At first, the lights came up on each forum and then they went away as soon as I visited one forum and returned. Now, they light up only on the "presently" active forum but they still vanish after my first visit to a forum.

It's been a pain for months, but I live with it. I have to say, however, the problem has caused me to get out of the site sooner than I wanted to, out of annoyance.

- dananne - 06-17-2004

Yeah, my lights are vanishing when I leave and return to the forums list, too. Everything was fine for me until I began to use this new browser. I was thinking it was just me.

- Jackie - 06-17-2004

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

First, your profile has nothing to do with the lightbulbs. However, you must have cookies enabled on your browser or cookies set to a "medium" security level. To check this in Netscape Navigator select edit--> preferences--> advanced--> cookies. To check it in Internet Explorer select tools -->internet options --> privacy.

Assuming your borwser does accept cookies, then it is a matter of what page you use to log into the wineboard. I recommend using the following URL: http://wines.com/wineboard

This page is set up to recognize your cookies and automatically bring you the correct lightbulbs. Try it and let me know if you are still having a problem with lightbulbs.

Also, it may help to NOT use your back button in the wineboard but (rather) to use the little menu in the upper right area of each page to navigate back to the top of the wineboard, etc.

I will watch for your reply and hope this helps.

Jackie

- glenora - 06-18-2004

Jackie

Your suggestion-- "Also, it may help to NOT use your back button in the wineboard but (rather) to use the little menu in the upper right area of each page to navigate back to the top of the wineboard, etc."--took care of my light problem.

Gene

- Thomas - 06-18-2004

I did everything as instructed--did not work.

- Thomas - 06-18-2004

Jackie, I did one more thing and it worked. I reloaded the wines.com into my "favorites" and canceled the old one. Don't ask me why it worked!

Well, I spoke too soon--now all the lights are coming on. I quit.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-18-2004).]

- californiagirl - 06-18-2004

foodie- Don't Quit!!

I have a suggestion, just not a solution. The lights thing happens to me sometimes. I don't keep the site on favorites. That's where I had the problem. Take the long way around and type in the address. just not as quick

- Bucko - 06-20-2004

Hell, the lights have been screwed up for me for some time. I tried all of the usual remedies without success, so I ignored it.

- Bucko - 06-20-2004

Let me correct my statement - the lightbulbs work fine but the folders don't change colors anymore.......

- chittychattykathy - 06-21-2004

My lights work fine unless I use the little menu, then they all come on.
CCK

- dananne - 06-22-2004

Nothing has worked for me [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

My browser is set to accept cookies, I've reset the link, I've tried using the menu, etc. Oh well!

- Thomas - 06-23-2004

I have a feeling what we have is a software on the Web site that is not universally accepted by various browser versions.

- Jackie - 06-24-2004

I'm a little dizzy too from all the various reactions. I will try to come up with a solution for each case here.

Failing that, I may just need to upgrade the software. I'm sure that will engender other issues though.

- dananne - 06-24-2004

I just ditched Internet Explorer and downloaded the newest version of Netscape. No lights when I attempted to access using the imported bookmark, but I went back to wines.com, then clicked the link to the board, then created a new bookmark. Bingo! The lights seem to be working for me now.

- chittychattykathy - 06-25-2004

It does seem to operate on Netscape better-- at least for me. I think I noticed this a while ago, as I don't even have it bookmarked under Explorer anymore.