WineBoard
New Store in West Orlando - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Favorite Wine Stores (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: New Store in West Orlando (/thread-15424.html)

- robr - 07-13-2005

Hi,

I'm still pretty knew to all this, so maybe I'm off base here, but I just wanted to relate this story and see what you have to say.

A new store just opened here a month or two ago between Bay Hill and Windermere, west of Orlando, Florida. It's just a wine store, not a liquor store, and it's absolutely beautiful. About 1000 bottles, all in custom built racks, and a huge walk-in cooler in the back, lots of expensive price tags. The problem is, I have yet to talk to anyone there who seems to know anything much about wine.

Granted, I have only been in twice, but both times I was pretty much ignored (even though I was the ONLY customer in the place) until I asked questions, and the employees seemed baffled. I asked them if they ever read Wine Spectator, and they looked at a pile of the magazines wistfully. One of them picked a copy up, and muttered, "I keep meaning to read it, but, there's just so much..." as if it was too much to do, just to read the magazine.

Then just about a mile away is a liquor store with a very small but wonderful selection of wine, and the manager-owner is very friendly, approachable, knowledgable,and eveything he recommends is great. Plus, he quickly figured out my price range (without me even telling him) and recommended only bottles within that range.

Where do you think I will be buying my wine?

Anybody else have an experience like this?

Rob in Orlando

- winoweenie - 07-13-2005

Rob-Bubba( I've been in Texas for 10 days) you'll find this in every field that needs service in the whole-ever-lovin-retail-universe. If the big box stores had the knowledgeable people who could service and give the proper advice to the customers the independents would all have bankruptcy court problems. Stay with that lil' store down the street. He cares. He Knows, and best of all he CARES. WW

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2005

Words of wisdom from WW. I also prefer to patronize independent bookstores over the big chains. A friend and her husband run two (it used to be three) independent bookstores in my hometown. They have big competition from Borders (I'm not sure Barnes & Noble has opened a store there yet). The husband also has a coin store and that is sometimes what keeps the bookstores
solvent. But they have the kind of books I want (I asked for a new book on German and Austrian baking once thinking they would have to special order it and they stocked it). They also will ship anywhere in the USA at no extra charge. And they promote books and reading with a local radio program, etc.

- fsufan - 07-27-2005

I was at a wine tasting 2 weeks ago at the Dolphin hotel and met the owner of the shop. I was not impressed with him, I had the same problem that you did as far as the knowledge goes...for being the owner of the shop; you would think it would be in his best interest to have a vast knowledge of wine and what is out there.
There is a great wine shop in the Dr.Phillips area right on Sandlake rd. The two guys that run are great, they have tastings all the time, themed events, they have a great food selection there as well...check it out, I think you'll be much happier with this shop

- robr - 07-27-2005

I know the one you mean, but I have never been there. I'll check it out. Thanks!

BTW, the shop in Windermere has a special on 2000 Rutherford Hill Cabernet Sauvegnon. I know that 2000 wasn't a great year for Napa cabs, but I really like this one -- it's a bit more like a Syrah... and for $12 a bottle you can buy more than one!

[This message has been edited by robr (edited 07-27-2005).]

- winoweenie - 07-28-2005

Hate to report on this but amplifying the problems wineries both latge and small are having dumping their 2000 vintage wines Trader Joes here in Phoenix are selling PepperWood Groves 2000 Calif Cab for.......
(are you ready fer dis'?) 1.99 per!!!!!!!
If this doesn't show the dire straits some of the wineries are in nothing will. Would be a bargain at 10. I purchased 4 cases. WW

- hotwine - 07-28-2005

I'd be more willing to jump on deals like that if it weren't for concern about heat damage. Too often in this area, the "good deals" are efforts to clean out cooked juice. And if you try to return it, you're told "Not our problem! Undoubtedly your fault, for leaving it in your vehicle overnight!" Right.

We've got a bunch of jerks in the trade around here. I let 'em stew in their own cooked juices.

- Kcwhippet - 07-28-2005

Part of the problem most likely is the bad rap the 2000 vintage Cali Cabs have been given. Most particularly, Parker's overall score of 78 for the vintage is a killer. We have people coming in all the time who want anything but 2000. I've found that, while there's some real stinkers from lesser producers, in general the vintage is as good as the 98's from good winemakers.

- robr - 07-28-2005

[quote]Originally posted by Kcwhippet:
[b]Part of the problem most likely is the bad rap the 2000 vintage Cali Cabs have been given. Most particularly, Parker's overall score of 78 for the vintage is a killer. We have people coming in all the time who want anything but 2000. I've found that, while there's some real stinkers from lesser producers, in general the vintage is as good as the 98's from good winemakers.[/b][/quote]

I saw Parker's score too, and was dismayed, but this cab is excellent, if you like a lighter bodied one.

- winoweenie - 07-28-2005

Can assure you that this bottling is not cooked but condemmed by the mighty Big Bob. Their loss is the publics gain. I've touted it to alla' me buddies, friends, and chillins'. WW