WineBoard
California wine/food pairing for tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: California wine/food pairing for tasting (/thread-154.html)

- novicewinetaster - 04-16-2004

Our novice wine tasting group is hosting a California wine tasting night...each couple brings a different red wine and we taste wines throughout the eve. with foods from the region. Could anyone suggest foods that are "authentic" N. California (Ital. influence?) to have with the wines ... we usually serve progressively more substantial foods as we taste each wine. We live in a somewhat remote region and can only get the more prolific California wines.
Thanks to any of you for suggestions!!

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2004

Hi Newfy, and welcome to the Wine Board. I'm only making this recommendation to get more support from the left coast. How about avocado pizza?

- californiagirl - 04-16-2004

Never had avocado pizza!!! If you're going for a pizza, or mini pizza selection, one of my favorite is called a greek style pizza. Red pizza sauce topped with spinach leaves, sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan, sliced green or black olives, red onions, artichoke hearts, pepperocinis, another sprinkle of mozz, then topped with some feta.

Is there anything you had in mind? Is there a specific red wine you were trying to pair food with?

- Innkeeper - 04-17-2004

OK, now that we've heard from the left coast, Ill offer something seriously. Take some cooked manicotti and stuff them with a mixture of poached chicken breast pieces in a japaleno cream sauce. Place in a baking dish, and cover with marinara sauce and lots of grated parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees until it bubbles and the cheese turns brown.

- novicewinetaster - 04-17-2004

The manicotti sound great, but pizza perhaps somewhat too casual for our tasing (even if the "avocado pizza" was very entertaining!). Being that we are generally limited to red wines (Pinot Noir, Cab., & Merlot ) and each couple brings their own selection (10 couples) for a blind tasting, it is difficult to match the wine with foods. Perhaps a spring menu (lamb?) and taking advantage of the fact that seafood is very plentiful here. I have been to the Napa Valley and it seemed that seafood and Italian predominated the menus. I realize now that my request was far too general to expect others to tackle but thank you for your help!!!!

- californiagirl - 04-17-2004

Here's a good one- Marinade 1- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp, (30-40 per lb works good), in 1/2c lemon juice, 1/2c dry white wine, (I use a non-oaked chard), 2 teas OO, 3-4 cloves chopped garlic for 15-30 min. Drain shrimp, save marinade. Heat 1-2 teas OO in pan over med high heat. Add shrimp and cook until pink, plate the shrimp. Add marinade to pan with bay leaf and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Simmer 4-5 min to reduce. Return shrimp to pan to finish cooking, add pinch salt. Plate and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with steamed asparagus with browned garlic butter.
The garlic and red pepper helped it to pair nicely with a red wine selection.

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 04-17-2004).]

- novicewinetaster - 04-17-2004

Now that one sounds like a keeper(along with the manicotti dish)!! We'll have a toast to you at our tasting when we're having the shrimp...thanks again!

- thewoodman - 04-17-2004

The thing I think of most when I think Northern Californian cuisine is incredibly fresh greens and produce from a farmers market or right out of the garden, salmon (wild Pacific that is) and shellfish (barbecued oysters are one of my favorites), organically raised chicken or beef, artisan cheeses, etc. Nor Cal food is about the ingredients...the preparations range all over the board, but simple is generally better if the ingredients are impeccable. There are a number of "wine country" cookbooks that could give you some recipes.