WineBoard
Shared dinner and wine with Innkeeper and his wife last night - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Shared dinner and wine with Innkeeper and his wife last night (/thread-15312.html)

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2010

They were on their way north from a visit to relatives in Georgia and stopped at Pope AFB overnight. We met at Luigi's on a rainy night for porkchop (IK) or veal marsala (IK's wife and myself) and spaghetti or baked potato and salads. It was great to see them again (saw them at first Finger Lakes Offline in 2004?--I think that was the year.) IK says hi to the board.

I had a glass of 2008 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc--quite crisp and acidic with grapefruit notes--I enjoyed it before dinner and with the tossed salad with creamy Italian dressing. Then IK and I each had a glass of Saddlerock Rose (Malibu, CA). Nice deep blush color. My first impression was that it had some strange flavor components maybe including cranberry, but it grew on me a little as I sipped it. IK liked it.

- hotwine - 03-03-2010

Ah, Pope. They once had a nice Class VI store with lots of Bordeaux under $6. Their O' club was nice, too. Okay, okay, that was in...... '67. Sheesh!

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2010

IK had suggested perhaps dining at the Officers' Club but Pope is being phased out and I had no idea whether the O' Club is still operating or worth a visit or not. The NCO Club on Fort Bragg has closed and the O' Club is now more like a brew pub and not my idea of fine dining. They may step up the standard for certain events (a dining in or a Commanders' Reception) but generally I am not impressed. Luigi's is more consistent. IK did say that they were assigned VIP quarters on Pope for the night (very nice and less than $50).

- hotwine - 03-03-2010

That's too bad about the O' club. And had no idea that Pope was closing.

Too many officers' clubs are being converted to "all-ranks" joints, which is a tragedy IMO. So much for good food and service at good prices for the officer corps. Even the "mandatory club membership" rules at many installations haven't been able to save them.

- wondersofwine - 03-04-2010

Yup. That's what is happening. I have some fond memories of the O' Clubs in Frankfurt, Germany and Rhein-Main Air Force Base and a leisurely three- or four-course lunch at the French club in Baden-Baden or somewhere near the French-German border.

- Innkeeper - 03-05-2010

We arrived home last night after a two week road trip that got us as far south as Tampa. Mostly we we visited friends and relatives and didn't do a lot of wine drinking except as WOW described. It was great to get together with her. Fayetteville is a bitch of a town to find one's way away without a GPS; and even then I don't know how much it would have helped. Have to a admit that the accomodations were fantastic, and the dinner was great.