WineBoard
A Trio of Wineries in Northern California - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: A Trio of Wineries in Northern California (/thread-15244.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-30-2007

A nice day for my drive from near Guerneville to Carmel By-the-Sea. I stopped first at Cecil Deloach's new spread called Hook and Ladder. I had met Cecil, his wife and son at a past Nantucket Wine Festival. I was impressed with the

2006 HOOK AND LADDER GEWURZTRAMINER EARLY HARVEST
A nice nose and delicate spicy flavor in a package of 12.5% alcohol. I really liked this and purchased a bottle. ($14--good QPR)

The 2004 HOOK AND LADDER ZINFANDEL ESTATE GROWN RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY ($22) was a brick-red color with brown undertones and transparency. No further notes on it.

The 2006 HOOK AND LADDER RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR ($25.00) was a pale garnet color and light in body but pleasant taste.

The 2004 HOOK AND LADDER "THE TILLERMAN" ($16.00) was mostly Cabernet Sauvignon with some Cabernet Franc. From Russian River Valley, a red blend at 15.4% abv. Dark crimson color, some transparency. Flavor evoked red berries more than cassis but the blend was smooth and delightful, balancing the high alcohol well.

Final taste was 2005 HOOK AND LADDER "THIRD ALARM" Zinfandel Reserve from the Gambogi Ranch at 14.5% alcohol and cost of $30. This is old-vine Zin. Gambogi and Barbieri were my favorite single-vineyard Zins of Deloach's past bottlings and I inquired about the Barbieri. Unfortunately, those old-vine zin plantings have been pulled out. The pourer said probably to plant Pinot Noir. What a shame!

Next I stopped at Deloach which is no longer Cecil Deloach's winery. I don't have any notes from the tasting there.

I made a slight detour into Glen Ellen to visit Eric Ross (combination of the names of the two owners both with photojournalism background for two San Francisco newspapers.)
I have liked Eric Ross Zinfandel in past vintages and also the Pinot Noirs (Saralee Vineyard) which are quite full-bodied and need a careful food choice. I tried the following:

2001 ERIC ROOS OLD VINE ZINFANDEL, FEENEY RANCH, 14.5% alcohol

2002 ERIC ROSS OLD VINE ZINFANDEL, 15.9% abv

2005 ERIC ROSS OLD VINE ZINFANDEL, 16.1% abv.

I didn't take notes at the time but did purchase a bottle of the 2001 I believe. Will have to check the bottles which arrived last week and report back. Look at that progression over four vintages from 14.5% to 16.1%! Eric Ross no longer has a contract for grapes from Occidental Vineyard which was the source of the Zinfandel I have liked in past vintages (late 90's).

Then on to Vagabond's House Inn in Carmel and dinner at Anton and Michel.

There I had a 2006 Joseph Drouhin Pouille Fuisse, 13% alcohol. Dreyfus Ashby sole agents.
Very pale and semi-transparent. Faint pear on the nose. Crisp and fruity without evoking a particular fruit. If it sees any wood at all it must be quite neutral. Fine accompaniment to mushroom ravioli with brown sage butter (with tarragon perhaps?)and caramelized onions with a nice cruncy texture (yum) followed by Gulf herbed prawns with artichoke risotto and roasted red peppers. At least eight large prawns on a bed of red pepper and artichoke risotto with herbs on top. Both dishes served nice and hot and the wine was chilled in an ice bucket. Good service throughout the meal. I enjoyed a seat looking at the garden fountain and pond.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 10-31-2007).]

- hotwine - 10-30-2007

Very nice notes, Wonders. Very nice indeed. Thanks.

- dananne - 10-30-2007

As always, great notes Jane.