WineBoard
Regis Martin - Napa Offline 2006 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Regis Martin - Napa Offline 2006 (/thread-15243.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Deirdre - 04-17-2006

Hello:
Regis Martin is very excited to share with you a bit of Napa and Sonoma. All roads may lead to Rome, but the art of wine making in the US, most roads lead back to Napa/Sonoma. I have mapped out three days of experiencing all three practices of wine making (table/still, fortified, sparkling), various levels of production from small/boutique wineries to the mother load. The wineries are situated in various appellations in each county with different influences and styling from the wine makers. I have compiled a complete schedule for a Thursday though Sunday night of wine tasting; please email me at deirdre@regismartin.com for a copy since I can not attach a copy to my blog. Also to read more about Regis Martin, our web site is www.regismartin.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers! Deirdre

- Jackie - 04-18-2006

Deirdre,

Thank you for posting. We are all looking forward to getting some details. Also we need to get some idea of costs.

What email address should we use to contact you for the itinerary?

Also, we have quite a few new suggestions from our members about wineries to visit in the "2006 Offline" thread. In some cases, we can get a private tour or tasting. I think we should try to take advantage of the special personal relationships that some of our WineBoard members have with various wineries and winemakers. These would be more interesting to everyone, I think.

Please see the new ideas offered & let us know what works.

Thanks,
Jackie

- Deirdre - 04-19-2006

Hello All:

Yes, I have read through the various suggestions of different wineries and I have incorporated most of them into the schedule. (Remember I have to look at the entire day of wineries and confirm that the day is productive and mapped out in an orderly fashion to avoid lost time and driving in circles.) In fact they are marked with an "X" on the left of the entry. I am working with hotels to get agressive room rates and I need to confirm WHO IS INTEREST. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT deirdre@regismartin and advise of your participation and your budget for your overall stay in No Cal. Please exclude your airfare from the budget. I will formulate the individual budgets and come up with a reason medium price and rates for everyone.

To contact me, please email me at deirdreg@regismartin.com

If you have not requested a schedule, it is not too late and I am happy to email one to you for your review.

Looking forward to spending time with you in No. Cal.

Cheers,

Deirdre

- Kcwhippet - 04-19-2006

Not sure I understand how the wineries on your list marked with an "X" correlate with the wineries suggested on the previous thread. Your "X" list shows:
Acacia
Neal Family
Duckhorn
Merry Edwards
Limerick Lane
Gary Farrell
Geyser Peak

What I've found suggested in the previous thread:
Flora Springs
Duckhorn
Robert Craig
Swan
Scherrer
Siduri
Mietz
Acorn
Lewelling

Unless I'm missing something, the only winery in common is Duckhorn.

- californiagirl - 04-19-2006

My top list would be Lewelling, Scherrer and Siduiri.

- californiagirl - 04-19-2006

Oh yes... and Mietz!!

guess my spelling is a little off tonite [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 04-19-2006).]

- Jackie - 04-20-2006

Back in August/Sept 2005 we began discussing wineries to visit in another thread called "2006 WineBoard Excursion Ideas" in the Talk to Your Moderators Forum. I think Deirdre was using the suggestions made there.

Since then quite a few new ideas have been brought up. Some of our WineBoard members have special relationships with the winemakers and wineries. I would like to see as many of these included as possible.

My own "connection" is with Gary Farrell Wines and Dr. Dick Peterson. But there are several other WineBoard members who could prevail on their connnections to make special arrangements for personalized tours, etc. I think these would make our trip more interesting.

- Jackie - 04-20-2006

I believe Dierdre's email address is:

dierdre@regismartin.com

- TheEngineer - 04-21-2006

I know the folks at Terra Valentine quite well in Spring Mountain.

- Deirdre - 04-21-2006

Email address is deirdre@regismartin.com

I am mapping out the new addition of wineries to see what we can work in. Please keep in mind that you have to keep in drive time and turn around at the wineries.

I should be done by Monday. (I have tours this weekend)
Deirdre

- Deirdre - 04-25-2006

I have sent out the July schedule "draft 2" to everyone who has already emailed me for a copy. If you would like a copy, please email me at deirdre@regismartin.com.

I have not seen an budget information from anyone. I need to make sure I am working within a reasonable margin for everyone.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Deirdre

- TheEngineer - 04-25-2006

I just sent you an email. I did not receive the draft yet. Thanks

- Deirdre - 04-28-2006

Hello All:

I have not seen any budget ideas from anyone, therefore I am putting together a cost outline and should have it posted by Monday. (I am waiting on a few vendors for their rates.) Most of the hotels do want to go to contract immediately since we are looking at 10+-rooms at a reduced rate.

Have a great weekend,

Deirdre

- Deirdre - 05-01-2006

Friends:

Pricing is not looking good. Honestly, it is looking that the package will price over $1,000.00 per person excluding airfare. Most accodomations are sold out or want a two night stay. Combine that with transportation, food & beverage costs, PLUS wine tasting fees it is really high.

July is soaked with tourists in the Bay Area and I would like to suggest to look at September/October when the weather is nicer, less people during the most exciting time in the wine countries. Although the white grapes start getting picked as early as August; September & October is the most exciting time during the crush.

I am not going to further planning, but ask that you consider September or October.

Deirdre

- TheEngineer - 05-01-2006

ouch.. Diedre, I what portion of that is accomodation as I do not need a hotel. I was planning to bunk with a friend and travelling up to meet with you.

- Deirdre - 05-01-2006

I know it is an absolute bummer for July -I would not pay that price because I know we can do better.. There are other options and I happy to work with the group on them.

Deirdre

- winoweenie - 05-01-2006

Mite as well put my post in at this juncture. CB advised me in no uncertain terms she had NO intention of leaving the heat here in the valley in July and going to what can be an even hotter environment because of the humidity. I took her there in July 10 or so ago. We will probably go to San Diego, Drive the 101 up the coast to San Luis Obispo, on to Monterrey/Carmel and then into San Fransisco for 4-5 days. Count us out. WW

- Jackie - 05-01-2006

Hi All,

I've just returned from a week long cruise to Mexico... great time. I still feel the motion of the ship. Whoah.

Anyway, it looks like a debate has been going on while I was away. The question seems to be about timing of the excursion.

I haven't talked to Deirdre yet, but it is true that Northern California can be very hot in July. That's part of what makes it so great for vineyards, of course. August is usually not much cooler. September and October are best for touring.

Can we get a take on who prefers July and who would be able to go in Sept/Oct??

I am available for either timeframe. Can we hear from the others? We need to take a quick poll, I think.

WW -- what's about the Sept/Oct timeframe? Does that work for you & CB???

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 05-01-2006).]

- Jackie - 05-01-2006

I'll keep a tally.

Please vote for
1) July Only
2) Sept/Oct Only
3) Either Date is OK

Here's the list of participants so far:

WileECoyote 2 --- ???
tw 2 --- ???
Californiagirl 2 - ???
hotwine 2 --- Prefer Sept/Oct
winoweenie 2 --- Not July (too hot)
Bucko 2 --- ???
Kcwhippet 3 --- July Only
TheEngII 1 --- ???
Jackie 1 --- Either Date OK

I realize that cost is also a factor. Sept/Oct is likely to be less expensive. A vote is not a commitment, however. Just let us know what dates you need, so we can see what prices we can arrange.

Thanks, J.

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 05-02-2006).]

- Kcwhippet - 05-01-2006

We can only vote for "July only" because of Judy's work schedule.