WineBoard
Atlanta Restaurant - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Atlanta Restaurant (/thread-15239.html)

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

Dananne and others from Georgia might be interested in this. "Food and Wine" magazine article on ten new restaurants with good, affordable wine lists, includes Woodfire Grill in Atlanta. It has 30-40 wines by the glass for those who want to experiment with new wines. The emphasis is on Northern California wines but selections include Alsace and other areas as well.

- dananne - 07-14-2003

Have not been there yet, but will now look to go.

Thanks for the tip!

- wondersofwine - 07-15-2003

Your welcome.

- dananne - 07-15-2003

Wonders --

FYI:

http://www.woodfiregrill.com/wine.html

Thought you'd be interested to see it. I think the "anne" of "dananne" may be taking me on Sat. I'll let you know what I think.

- Innkeeper - 07-15-2003

Looks great. Will have to give it a go, next time through.

- wondersofwine - 07-16-2003

Thanks for the link, Dananne. Much more worldwide selection of wines than "Food and Wine" review indicated. I see they have Merry Edwards Pinot Noir (probably her most expensive bottling) and also the Argyle from Oregon that I like. Interesting the way the wine list is organized--fruity, spicy, soft, etc. And I didn't realize that they feature organic foods (as does Nora's Restaurant in Washington, DC).

- dananne - 07-16-2003

Yes, I like the way they organized the list. It makes more sense to me, and it eases the job of making appropriate pairings with wines you've never tried (and, in restaraunts, I generally try to avoid wines I've had before or that I could just have at home). We plan on sticking to the by-the-glass list and doing a good bit of experimenting. I'll post about it on Sunday.

- dananne - 07-20-2003

Had a delightful meal last night. I opened with a Chehalem Willamette Valley "Cerise" pinot noir and my wife opted for The Crossings pinot noir from Marlborough (NZ). Both by the glass. Wine list and menu were a touch different from that which is on their web site, but not inferior. For munchies, we had the olive oil sampler platter -- two Italian and one Spanish oil. Bread was nice to clean the palate, as we tasted each other's pinots. The Crossings tasted a bit young, and was tart with some grassiness to it. High acidity, making it almost resemble a chianti. We liked the Chehalem better -- nicely extracted, good depth with black cherries, a mineral element, and fine tannins holding it all together. Service was very efficient. Our meals were out in a hurry. My wife had the prawns, and they looked fantastic. She polished them off very quickly, and raved about them for some time afterward. I had the vegetable platter (the only bad part of being a vegetarian, on most days). Despite my eying her prawns entre, I was very happy with it, and they did something magical with the organic artichokes on the plate. I couldn't describe them if I tried. We both opted for dessert, with her's being a butterscotch custard with some little chocolate, doughnut-like puffs. She washed it down with a late harvest muscat from Eos. I had a glass of 1982 Osborne port with lavendar-pecan biscotti and zinfandel sorbet. The sorbet was out of this world. I could have easily eaten my weight in it. All in all, a very fine evening. We'll go back there for sure. We could have eaten and drunk more, but we had a bottle of pinot waiting for us at home (see my Belle Glos post). In hindsight, it was a disappointment, so perhaps we should have stayed for another glass of wine.

- wondersofwine - 07-21-2003

Thanks for the report. Glad it turned out well. I was disappointed in the only New Zealand Pinor Noir I've tried so will stick with California, Oregon and Europe for now.
I love artichokes--wonder what they did with them on your vegetarian plate. Artichoke supposedly interferes with the taste of wines, so I have sometimes had just ice water with an artichoke appetizer and then had a glass or more of wine with the entree.
P.S. I think I have a Chehalem Pinot Noir at home--don't remember further details but will report on it later this summer most likely.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-21-2003).]