WineBoard
Finger Lakes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Finger Lakes (/thread-15224.html)

Pages: 1 2

- brappy - 06-16-2006

Hattie (my wife) and I are going to the Finger Lakes on Wednesday, the 21st of this month. We should arrive sometime during the evening. We plan on staying through Saturday but are a little flexible about that time. I'll be bringing some wine with me but of course the idea of this trip is to tour the area wineries. I also want to check out the new New York Wine & Culinary Center.

Anyway, if anyone will be in the area during that time, I'd love to see you and of course taste some juice.

Also, we will be staying in the Watkins Glen area but can travel almost anywhere in the Finger Lakes area.

mark

- Innkeeper - 06-17-2006

Hi Mark. Hopefully you've seen this: http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum39/HTML/000909.html and this: http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum39/HTML/000905.html

Glenora is only a mile or so north of Watkins Glen on the West Side. Even if you don't stay there, be sure to stop in and say hello to Gene.

On our trip last month we stopped at Atwater for the first time. Another recommended stop for us. They are on the East Side just north of Watkins Glen. Their Riesling (and their Dry Riesling) are wonderful.

- Thomas - 06-17-2006

Mark,

I'll definitely be in the area, as I live in the Finger Lakes region.

I am at Keuka Lake, near Konstantin Frank's place. Look up my Website and you can get in touch through there: www.thomaspellechia.com

- Kcwhippet - 06-17-2006

I'd recommend the Inn at Glenora in Dundee, also. They have wonderful rooms as well as a great restaurant. Gene (Glenora here on the WineBoard) likes to meet more Board members. He can also steer you in the right direction to the best wineries to visit around the area. Definitely try to meet Foodie as well.

- Thomas - 06-17-2006

I just noticed IK's post about Glenora being a mile or so from Watkins Glen.

Glenora is about thirteen miles north of Watkins Glen, on State Route 14.

- brappy - 06-18-2006

Thanks everyone. I'll follow everyone's advise. I'll need it; it's been a long time since I've been in this area and never as an adult. My wife and I are looking forward to it!

mark

- glenora - 06-19-2006

Mark

Give me a call when you get in the area (or before) and we can make arrangements to meet. If you wish I can make some arrangements for vists to other wineries in the area. Perhaps a lunch including Thomas (Foodie) Phone number is 607-243-8000. And for the "record" we are 8.5 miles north of Watkins Glen, west side of the lake on Route 14

Gene

- Thomas - 06-19-2006

Gene, the reason you are 8.5 miles from Watkins Glen as opposed to 13 miles is because you drive faster...

I would like it if we can meet at Veraisons for lunch; the only day I can't is Wednesday.

- brappy - 06-19-2006

Gene and Foodie,

Hattie and I will get in mid-evening on Wednesday. We'll be up ready to go on Thursday. I'll call while driving on Wednesday. The earlier we meet the better. We want to see as much as possible and you guys could point the way. Lunch sounds great. Maybe Thursday?? Anyway, I'll get in touch via phone on Wednesday.

Thanks again,

mark

- glenora - 06-20-2006

Mark and Foodie

Lunch on Thursday works for me--can we meet at 12:30 at Veraisons?

Anyone else who is in the area, or wants to join us is welcome! A mini off-line--arranged in 3 days!!!!!!!

Gene

- brappy - 06-20-2006

I'm in.... I'll call tomorrow just to make sure 12:30 is the right time....can't wait

mark

- Thomas - 06-21-2006

12:30 is ok with me.

- wondersofwine - 06-22-2006

Finger Lakes offline should be meeting in half an hour from now. Hi Gene, Foodie and Brappy!

I haven't reset my wine forum clock to match the actual Eastern Daylight Savings Time so I entered this around noon in the east.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-22-2006).]

- glenora - 06-23-2006

The Finger Lakes "mini" off line (lunch)was great! A fair amount of wine (two of us had to go back to work)and lots of great conversation. Brappy and Hattie left heading north along the west side of Seneca to visit other wineries. Tomorrow they will be visiting wineries on Keuka Lake and plan to catch up with Foodie after visiting Dr. Frank's

- Innkeeper - 06-23-2006

Sounds like a typical good time in Glenoraland.

- Thomas - 06-23-2006

IK, Gene is and was yesterday a stellar host.

The couple have not phoned so I doubt they will be dropping by today--probably had enough of my BS at lunch yesterday. I think I detected Hattie dozing off at one point...

- brappy - 06-25-2006

Gene was a wonderful host in which he shared with us some great wine and food. Hattie and I couldn't be more thankful for the time we had with both Thomas and Gene. The conversation about the Finger Lakes wine region was insightful and the view to die for. I didn't realize my face was sunburned, until we returned to the motel, from sitting out on the picturesque veranda. Again, unbelievable view!!!!

Yes, we were supposed to meet with Thomas on Friday evening and we weren't able to do so. And no, Hattie wasn't falling asleep listening to Thomas's conversation, and arguments with Gene about which lake is the better. Actually, after two days of wine tasting at 23 vineyards, I had worn Hattie completely out. Of course, that didn't excuse her from visiting 6 more on Saturday on the way out of town. The last 6 wineries were on the east side of Seneca lake.

We guestimated we tasted close to 160 wines in the 3 days. We bought no more than 1 bottle of each that I wanted to taste and study at home. Most of the wine consisted of Riesling, Cab Franc, and desert wines; roughly 36 bottles. I will begin tasting these on Monday evening after a day out on the boat (not all 36(ish) at once).

I'm going to start a new thread then or on Tuesday in the correct location (New York wines).

We can't thank Foodie and Glenora enough as we had a wonderful time. We'll be up there soon for round 2. Thanks again,

mark

- Thomas - 06-26-2006

Talk about sunburn. The next time you guys come up, I will remember not to leave my hat in the car.

Mark, were you affected by the floods?

- brappy - 06-26-2006

The floods..... Not a whole lot... But I am taking a break from drying out the cellar. Kept checking it last night but finally fell asleep..... about an inch in the cellar..

mark

PS. It has rained since we got back.. I told her we should have stayed a couple more days.

- Thomas - 06-26-2006

Well, the rain has arrived here. Had to bring my fig tree inside as it is just about ready to give over some fruit and I don't want them waterlogged.

Looks like the end for our strawberries out back, but we had a full ten-day run of a great strawberry crop (you could have taken home a few quarts had you come by--nyanna, nyanna, nyanna!).

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-26-2006).]