WineBoard
Finger Lakes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Country Touring/Dining (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Finger Lakes (/thread-15218.html)

- Kcwhippet - 01-29-2003

We're going out to Buffalo in two weeks to bring Judy's Mom back to her sister's place. On the way back to MA, we're going to stop off to visit my uncle in Binghamtom and we thought to go down from 90 to 17 using 14 so we could stop in at a few Finger Lakes wineries. We haven't been there since 1993, and much has changed since then. So, the question is, which are the best wineries on that route (west side of Seneca Lake) that would warrant a visit? A lot has been said about the increasing quality of the Rieslings there. Who's doing the best job with that grape? Anything else to look for - like Cab Franc maybe? Foodie may be the best source for this info, but surely someone else has to have some opinions.

- Innkeeper - 01-29-2003

On the West Side of Seneca look for Glenora (surly you remember them from early Wine Board days), Fox Run, and Hermann J. Wiemer. If you want to boogy over to Keuka Lake (Foodieland) look for Heron Hill, and Dr Konstantin Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars. For great food and spectacular scenery stop at Bully Hill. They serve beer as well as their less than spectacular wine with the food.

- Thomas - 01-29-2003

Let me see if I can do this one...

To IK's I would add to the list on Seneca Lake Prejean Winery (great Riesling and Gewurztraminer), it is south, between Fox Run and Hermann Wiemer. Incidentally, all these wineries are on Rt 14, south of Geneva and north of Watkins Glen.

But do try to get to Keuka Lake and taste Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Riesling (IMHO--the best) and Heron Hill (2nd best).

And be sure to try some of the Cabernet Francs of the region.

Re, Bully Hill wine: once had lunch there and was forced to squeeze my lemon (intended for the fish) into the Riesling for some snap!!! But as IK said, the food is good and the scenery is gooder (but in February?)

Gimme a holler when you have a schedule. If I am there at the time, I'll try to say hello.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-29-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-29-2003

We'll be heading that way on Saturday, February 15.

- Thomas - 01-30-2003

If that is the Saturday after next, I should be there. Send an email to thomas@is-wine.com

- glenora - 01-30-2003

We would enjoy having you visit us--could even pull a few of the older Rieslings from the library if you have the time or interest--also would be glad to pick up a bottle or two from the east side of Seneca--Atwater, and Chateau LaFayette Reneau are doing some great things with Riesling.

Cabernet Franc--be sure to stop at Fox Run

- Kcwhippet - 01-31-2003

Foodie,
That's February 15 which is two weeks from tomorrow, February 1. If you're there then, it would be great to meet you.

Glenora,
We'd love to stop by. Need to firm up the details. Who do we ask for, what's a good time, etc.? If you give your email, I'll send a message with our itinerary.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-31-2003).]

- Thomas - 01-31-2003

Kc, my schedule has me in the F Lakes the weekend of the 15th. Maybe I can meet you at Glenora at a set time. I suspect the posting from Glenora was done by a man named Gene--he's quite shy...

- glenora - 02-01-2003

Foodie--I have been called many things but but yours is the first for shy------

KC my e-mail address is gene@glenora.com As I mentioned earlier I would be happy to gather a few Finger Lakes Rieslings as well as some of the older vintages from Glenora. Perhaps we should open this up to other board memembers who might wish to join us.

- Thomas - 02-01-2003

Gene--I assume I am invited. Oh boy, free wine, and old ones at that...

In fact, Gene, I have been commissioned to do 5,000 words for Slowfood Magazine about the Finger Lakes wine industry. They want me to include a vertical tasting of what I think is the region's best. If you can get a variety of the area's Rieslings together, we can include this tasting in the article. I'll phone you about it during next week.

Kc, take him up on it--it will be a great experience.

- glenora - 02-02-2003

foodie

Of course you are invited--as long as we are pulling corks if you know of anyone else who might have an interest please feel free to bring them along

I will gather the Rieslings and will ask Steve to head to to the wine library.

See you on the 15th

- Kcwhippet - 02-03-2003

Gene, Foodie

Just back from the Boston Wine Expo last night. I spent some time at the Finger Lakes tables and went on to Dr. Loosen, some other Germans and some Alsace - all to educate myself on the different styles of Rieslings. I was quite impressed. We also liked the Cab Francs from the Finger Lakes, as well. Anyway, we'll be there at Glenora on the 15th, and we'll work out the timing before hand. Can't wait!

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 02-03-2003).]

- Thomas - 02-03-2003

KC, Good news--I love it when wine people find the Finger Lakes...

- Kcwhippet - 02-04-2003

Actually, we were there about ten years ago for a weekend, and we stayed in Penn Yan at Wagener Estate. Did Keuka Lake one day and part of Seneca Lake the next. As I recall, we weren't terribly impressed with too many wineries because it seemed most folks were trying to find their style. The ones we liked were Dr. Frank, Hermann Wiemer, Prejean and Glenora. I remember Bully Hill only because we thought it was a joke and could Walter Taylor actually be serious. I did get a great poster there, though. Another was Castel Grisch because I remember thinking these folks don't get it. One of the highlights was a bakery we found, and I seem to remember it was up the hill on a road that paralleled the main road on the west side of Keuka Lake. Great bread!

- Thomas - 02-04-2003

Kc, your impressions were right on, including the bakery.

The bakery is no longer, but when it was, it was just a mile south of my home. If you were there ten years ago you just missed my winery, Cana Vineyards, which I closed in 1993; it was across the road from my house, on the west side of Keuka, of course.